Protection M1 vs M1 EP

Both oils have the same ratings . Why do we think a longer lasting oil provides more protection against wear. M1 oils arw a fine choice.

Last edited:
From mobil1 website they say this about EP, which is not mentioned for regular m1.
Exceptional overall engine protection

Outstanding thermal and oxidation stability

Why 0w-20 AFE talks about fuel economy, but not 0w-20 EP. they are both GF-6 SP, is AFE better for fuel economy?

Both oils have the same ratings . Why do we think a longer lasting oil provides more protection against wear. M1 oils arw a fine choice.
Because an extended interval rating doesn't come out of thin air, it's achieved by either a stronger additive package or better base oil. If better oil isn't the objective there are plenty of semi synthetics are adequate to current specs. Two ways to better protection are better oil or more frequent changes.

For what its worth, EP might be slightly better at protecting your engine even at shorter OCI. I dont think its by a lot or something that you can measure or have a definitive proof. In my mind $2 is worth extra protection as small as it may be

For what its worth, EP might be slightly better at protecting your engine even at shorter OCI. I dont think its by a lot or something that you can measure or have a definitive proof. In my mind $2 is worth extra protection as small as it may be

Wait. The EP might be better but it’s not something you can measure or have definitive proof? The extra $2 in price is worth the extra protection, even small?

Have you considered politics?

I’ll be running M1 EP in my Forester XT next change. It was recommended by some on here over Magnatec for my 6-7.5k interval. I’m curious to see what the UOA looks like in comparison to the Magnatec.

Like buster said,the ep lineup is supposed to have a dash of pao,whereas regular M1 is a group 3 oil. I’d just cough up the extra couple of bux for the ep if I were to use M1.
Some of the regular M1 grades have PAO in them as well. The EP products tend to have more PAO for the same grade, generally.

One shall buy what they desire. No one can prove that it will not provide extra protection either
To your point … one of the PVL “claims” is always deposit control and most here know what materials matter on that front … However it’s much to do with the engine as well … and the thread starter has a “mild mill” by any standards …
That engine should be an easy 7500 mile OCI candidate …

Why would that be?

Back