Protection M1 vs M1 EP

Shel_B

Site Donor 2023
I generally use M1 EP and keep my OCIs to around 6-mos /5,000 miles, lots of very short trips. If I used regular M1 under the same conditions might whatever protection I get with EP be lessened?

No need to suggest I use SuperTech or a less expensive oil, which I'm sure will be fine, but I'm happy with M1 and am not interested in changing brands at this time.

"EP" means the oil can be used for a longer OCI... "extended protection." If you are changing oil every 5,000 miles due to short trips, you will be perfectly fine with regular Mobil 1 or any other oil that meets the spec for your engine. In fact, I think using EP in your situation would be a waste... the cost is not much higher but still there is no benefit for you to use the EP version.

"EP" means the oil can be used for a longer OCI... "extended protection." If you are changing oil every 5,000 miles due to short trips, you will be perfectly fine with regular Mobil 1 or any other oil that meets the spec for your engine. In fact, I think using EP in your situation would be a waste... the cost is not much higher but still there is no benefit for you to use the EP version.
Multiple people have told him this over time. He just doesn’t care.

I generally use M1 EP and keep my OCIs to around 6-mos /5,000 miles, lots of very short trips. If I used regular M1 under the same conditions might whatever protection I get with EP be lessened?

No need to suggest I use SuperTech or a less expensive oil, which I'm sure will be fine, but I'm happy with M1 and am not interested in changing brands at this time.
This is 0W20 ?

Wearing a hand condom when disposing of used oil.
That's a good idea.

There are all sorts of "protection" in the OP's question, wear protection, oxidation resistance, deposit protection, emissions system protection, or all of the above as an aggregate.

"Whatever protection I get" is meaningless. Another "what is the best oil" post.

That's a good idea.

There are all sorts of "protection" in the OP's question, wear protection, oxidation resistance, deposit protection, emissions system protection, or all of the above as an aggregate.

"Whatever protection I get" is meaningless. Another "what is the best oil" post.
I don't think this is his first "best oil" post

It is clear that even if another oil was demonstrably better thru industry testing, he would be unwilling to use it.:D

In the past i have seen (on the back side of the bottle) a comparison between different M1 oils and between the 2 they protect the same but the EP you can have longer OCI. On that chart the protection categories are: protect against sludge, engine wear, heat etc.

Like buster said,the ep lineup is supposed to have a dash of pao,whereas regular M1 is a group 3 oil. I’d just cough up the extra couple of bux for the ep if I were to use M1.

Back