Protecting against theft....

Status
Not open for further replies.
"Horrible oxidized paint and driving a car thats more than 10 years old. If its not worth the effort they won't try"

Yep same here, plus 24 hour multiple camera surveilance, and a big gun and a spotlight.

Thats why I like the idea of LoJack. I'll let them have the car, but someone is going to find them. Lets just say I like the idea of someone going to prison to become someones girlfriend.

lojack does rock, my friends car was recovered in mere hours untouched outside a chopshop.

only damage was a messed up steering column, and a broken door lock.

theres better now...but they dont work co-op with the police like lojack does.

These new ones track via GPS and through the GSM phone service. Your car gets turned on without deactivating the system, the system makes a call through the cellphone network to HQ. The HQ calls you and if your car is stolen they turn on the GPS network and give you up to date vectors of where your car is and where its heading. You give these to the cops and they bust the guys.

On my first car (a 1981 Dodge Omni) I had a foolproof feature that discouraged anyone from wanting to take my car. It was called "the 1981 Dodge Omni".

Taking a bit of a leap...I did have my second Porsche broken into in my garage, but it was a smash and grab for the stereo. An alarm would not have mattered much. They were probably in and out in 30 seconds at 4:00AM. They took my Outkast and Prince CDs but left my Jazz. These kids today. The main cause of this theft was that the people who promised it would only take 3 hours to install new garage doors had still not finished the jobe 11 days later. Grrrrrr. Before I even got my indsurance claim, that car had been destroyed by a 70 mph flatbed truck GRRRRRRRRR!!!!!

I think the lojack type idea has merit. I don't mock anyone for using an alarm. I have one on my house for insurance reasons more than anythng else. But I would contend that the most ignored sound on the planet is the car alarm going off.

Posted by Daemonite:
"These new ones track via GPS and through the GSM phone service. Your car gets turned on without deactivating the system, the system makes a call through the cellphone network to HQ. The HQ calls you and if your car is stolen they turn on the GPS network and give you up to date vectors of where your car is and where its heading. You give these to the cops and they bust the guys."

Hilarious! They could give me directions while I drove my other car looking for them, Glock in hand.

What FTCPete said. I have no mercy for a ******* thief and have shot at two that tried to take my truck from the driveway one night many years ago.

For most cases, redundancy is a big help. Have an alarm, but back it up with a hidden switch for the fuel pump and/or the ignition system.

The hidden switch saved my son's Chevy truck about 6 months ago. It was equipped with a good alarm, but they got around that and were actually able to get the truck to crank. Because of the fuel pump cut-off, it stayed put, but of course got the door lock, steering column and bottom of the dash messed up.

I sure like that GPS idea ....

Knock on wood I haven't had any cars broke into yet. But then again I drive a Festiva and Aspire and she drives a rusted out Corolla. Although on occasion I have my 00 F150 up here. I've left my doors unlocked with keys in all a couple times, even on the f150, and none of them have been touched. This is in Kansas City, KS btw. I do have good stereo setups in all of them. The neighbors have had there cars broken into though, taurus and neon's, go figure. I suspect most of the break in's are locals to the neighborhood, most of my neighbors think i'm insane so that could explain it some. I regularly use a 3+ft machette with a red hackerchief tied around the forehead while trimming our trees and bushes.

A local California Highway Patrol officer that works in auto thieft drives a 1960 Rambler wagon. That's his version of anti-thieft.

I live in the San Diego area and car thieft is a big problem. A lot of cars end up in Mexico and our government ignores anyone having a problem with illegal aliens. A lot of cars stolen are used for transportation, to and from the border. That makes any car a target. Most cars make it to a chop shop and are reduced to parts in hours. The only way a car around here can be protected would be to let it vote.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back