Protecting a soft cam shaft

Status
Not open for further replies.
Looking for some recommendations. Have an older Corvette with low mileage that has the GM soft camshaft problem. Currently using Castrol GTX 10W-40. Is there another oil that would better protect the camshaft in this car?

TIA

I would recommend not in any particular order Redline any heavy duty oil "Delo 400 Mobil 1300etc. or Amsoil. Do change the oil on a severe schedule.

I think I would be running a 5W40 or 15W40 oil with the greatest number of anti-wear (AW) additives, such as ZDDP, Moly, and Antimony.

The only oil I know that has those three are Schaeffer's oil #700.

While I'm not familiar with this soft cam issue -and I'm pretty sure that oils with higher AW agents MAY help...I think the most important thing is use an oil that pumps up REAL quick.....

I know this from Volvo experience. Anyone familiar with the Volvo version of the PRV V6? (about the same as a DeLorean engine). Anyhow this engine especially the earlier B27E/F versions suffered from soft cams AND top end oil problems. I mean this is back in the day...late 70's to early 80's. I think the B27's were all toast, but the B28E/F's that lasted were the ones that relatively early oil nuts that used M1 or Amsoil - which was no cheap feat at 8 qt oil capacity...

I would make sure the air filter assembly and element are in good condition. Limiting the amoutn of airborne dirt from entering the system will greatly enhance the longevity. Some of these old filter asm often don't give a good seal and dirt can get by.

A friend had this problem with a 1981 Chevy pickup with 305 engine. He had a least 2 cams installed under warranty. I recall he had the oil tested the second time becuase he was getting some crap from the dealer. He found his oil was contaminated with silica (sand) and was getting past his air filter. There was not a good seal on the top. I found an article in a magazine that detailed the bad cams.

Mobil1 0w30 racing oil, or Consider adding some GM engine oil suppliment (EOS) to any premium oil. It has about 13,000 PPM ZDDP. Redline with it's high moly content would be good also.

quote:

Originally posted by vettenuts:
Looking for some recommendations. Have an older Corvette with low mileage that has the GM soft camshaft problem. Currently using Castrol GTX 10W-40. Is there another oil that would better protect the camshaft in this car?

TIA

Humm you do know that all the big 4 car makers used soft Iron for the flat tappet cams with "external" harding.

The worst thing you can do is idle the motor very long because the cam is splashed lubricated.

It would have helped if you said what motor. Because you don't want to use a high ash motor oil in a 11:1 or higher forged piston motor out of the muscle car time frame. Because they do burn oil. A forged piston motor should also use a heaver base oil than 10w generally.

quote:

Originally posted by moribundman:
Don't some BMW have problems with cam lobes wearing prematurely? Don't they use 10W-60?

They had those problems when they were specifying 5w-30..

They now want Castrol TWS 10w-60

Fred..
smile.gif

quote:

Originally posted by moribundman:
Don't some BMW have problems with cam lobes wearing prematurely? Don't they use 10W-60?

It was rod bearing failure in one particular engine. The one used in the M3.

Avoid the band aid fix and replace the cam! A cam that is soft of has an air pocket in it will come apart fast once you wear through the thin already soft outer layer of heat treated material!!! I had this happen twice with Cran Cams in import raceing applications. The metal shaveing generated wear insane.

The cam ffollower material was undamaged. When I had the hardness of the remaining material checked on the damaged lopes and the rest of the lopes it cam up sub standard. When I cut it in sections I found air pockets as well. Cran Cams gave me a song and dance about raceing parts not carring a warranty etc.....

Pump ability is not a huge issue if this is an older Corvette as splash oiling is the primary means of oiling.

Anytime you replace a cam consider nitride surface coating as well.

Top name brands like Lunati, Crowler and ISKY usualy get my money.

I agree with JohnBrowning to just replace the cam. SSI and Elgin cams can be had for as little as $50. Or you can get one of the name brands for a little more. Iski and Erson are my most used brands though Reed, Schieder and Cam Dynamics are very good too.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back