Pros and Cons of Diesel Oil in Gasoline Engine?

Status
Not open for further replies.
What are the pros and cons of using diesel oil in a gasoline engine? I know diesel oils has more additives and detergents and such, but is that the only reason?

Pros: more ZDDP.
Higher initial TBN
Lower cost due to less marketing.

Cons: higher ZDDP (not good if you are a frequent oil changer and have emmissions gear, but probably not an issue if you do extended drains).
Typically only available in heavier viscosities.
May not be readily available.

Pro: Thicker, most are 40-weight, even the 30 weights are heavy within the grade - may help consumption.

There is a 10-30 available, but that is the thinnest I've heard of.
Normally 15-40 or 5-40.
This is a bit thick for modern cars. Not a big deal in Summer, but cold starts in winter will suffer -flow and drag.

I think if they had a5-20 and 5-30 HD oil, everyone here would consider using it, otherwise.

Cons: spark plugs start to glow
engine sounds like rattling cans
blows black smoke

57.gif

How about the magnesium additive; that is usually not in PCMO, mosy likely for a good reason. Will that Mg (?) compound cause some issues?

According to Horsepower TV, Rotella will cause engine sludge in a gasoline engine.
LOL.gif
smirk2.gif

Originally Posted By: ARCOgraphite
How about the magnesium additive; that is usually not in PCMO, mosy likely for a good reason. Will that Mg (?) compound cause some issues?

Castrol syntec 5W40 is loaded with Magnesium. As I remember I saw on the order of 700-900ppm on UOAs.

Originally Posted By: Ben99GT
According to Horsepower TV, Rotella will cause engine sludge in a gasoline engine.
LOL.gif
smirk2.gif

What is horsepower tv? I assume an informercial? What brand are they trying to sell if it is an infomercial?

Hi,
saaber1 - "Magnesium" is typically used as a detergent. It is being replaced in some HDEOs by the more expensive "Calcium" products

HDEOs that are not endorsed "mixed fleet" and carry dual petrol/diesel API/ACEA Quality ratings should NOT be used in petrol engines. This especially applies to those with a very high TBN due to their likely SA levels

Originally Posted By: Doug Hillary

HDEOs that are not endorsed "mixed fleet" and carry dual petrol/diesel API/ACEA Quality ratings should NOT be used in petrol engines. This especially applies to those with a very high TBN due to their likely SA levels

Just want to clarify your statement... Are you saying that, if they do not say "mixed fleet", even though they may be SM rated, they should still not be used in a gasoline engine?

Originally Posted By: Ben99GT
LOL.gif
smirk2.gif

I heard that last weekend... I laughed too!
grin2.gif

Hi,
saaber1 - "Magnesium" is typically used as a detergent. It is being replaced in some HDEOs by the more expensive "Calcium" products

Thanks, Doug...
thumbsup2.gif

Hi,

So I should return my Shell Rotella-T 5w40 Syn I bought for my Cabriolet?

Hi,

Hi, Doug

Could that be stated: Shell Rotella YES Shell Rumila NO

Hi,
Gary - Hi there. Yes many Commercial lubrication products are market and marketplace (country) specific

The last Specification Sheet I've seen on Rotella T Synthetic 5W-40 (not sold in Australia) shows that is dual rated

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back