Pros and Cons of Diesel Oil in Gasoline Engine?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: FiremarshalRob
What about SAE 30 in an older model vehicle that calls for 5w-30?

I use Chevron Delo SAE30 all the time. I use it in my Jeeps, my Mom's old Kia(w/10K OCI), and my wife's Malibu Maxx with no perceived loss of mileage. That might be different for short trips, but it works for my application and @ $.99/gallon, are the cheapest oil changes I've ever done (w/AA filter, that's an easy 8K change for $2.44 + tax!).

Originally Posted By: Zaedock
Originally Posted By: FiremarshalRob
What about SAE 30 in an older model vehicle that calls for 5w-30?

I use Chevron Delo SAE30 all the time. I use it in my Jeeps, my Mom's old Kia(w/10K OCI), and my wife's Malibu Maxx with no perceived loss of mileage. That might be different for short trips, but it works for my application and @ $.99/gallon, are the cheapest oil changes I've ever done (w/AA filter, that's an easy 8K change for $2.44 + tax!).

I'm thinking about using some rotella Sae 30 in my 1996 Geo. Mostly b/c I have a few gallon jugs of it, and the oil cap calls for some old outdated oils. I'll have to put up a picture of the oil cap. The oil it calls for is no longer made.

Quote:
Here are the differences between diesel engine oil and gasoline engine oil. In a modern diesel engine there is substantial exhaust soot contamination that the engine oil must contend with. Diesel oil is designed with much higher levels of detergency and dispersency to fight the soot contamination. Like ZDDP anti-wear chemistry, detergents are a surface active chemistry and compete directly for space on metal surfaces, such as the cam lobe and lifter face. So, in practice, the effective level of Zinc anti-wear is a bit lower than what we expect it to be based solely on chemical analysis. Additionally, the ZDDP that is generally used in diesel formulas is primary ZDDP (which activates at higher engine temperatures) since a diesel engine runs predominantly at operating temperature. In a gasoline engine, we must have both primary and secondary ZDDP (which activates at lower temperatures) since the engine will experience a significant number of cold starts. Also, the viscosity modifier polymers that are used in multi-viscosity engine oil to prevent viscosity loss at operating temperature (to protect the bearings) are different for diesel oil and gasoline oil. Diesels operate at essentially the same rpm all day long and need polymers that are shear stable to protect the bearings. Gasoline engines experience many large ranges of rpm during operation and require polymers that have both shear stability and thickening efficiency capability to protect the bearings.

-Taken from Cam-Shield.com.

Originally Posted By: Doug Hillary
Hi,
Gary - Hi there. Yes many Commercial lubrication products are market and marketplace (country) specific

The last Specification Sheet I've seen on Rotella T Synthetic 5W-40 (not sold in Australia) shows that is dual rated

Rimula - all the C's and SL/SJ

http://www.pzlqs.com/Docs/GPCDOC_local_TDS_TDS_69.pdf

Quote:
Product Description
Shell Rimula® Premium oils are extra high performance heavy-duty gasoline and diesel engine oil for longer oil and engine life in turbo- and non-turbocharged engines. Designed for fleet use, Shell Rimula Premium oils are available in SAE viscosity grades SAE 15W-40 and 10W-30.

http://www.pzlqs.com/Docs/GPCDOC_X_cbe_24855_key_140002338921_40B1.pdf

SM/SL

Quote:
Shell Rimula® Super oils are advanced high TBN/low-ash heavy duty motor oils for longer oil and engine life in virtually all diesel engines. Designed for fleet and off-highway use, Shell Rimula® Super oils offer the convenience of one oil for use in both the latest low-emission engines with exhaust emissions systems as well as offering excellent performance in pre-’07 engines.

Shell Rotella - CI4 and SL

http://www.pzlqs.com/Docs/GPCDOC_local_TDS_TDS_71.pdf

Quote:
Product Description
Shell Rotella® T SAE 15W-40 With Advanced Soot Control is a premium quality, heavy-duty multigrade oil for all-season use in diesel-powered or a mix of gasoline- and diesel-powered equipment. It meets or exceeds the warranty and service requirements of virtually all diesel and gasoline engine manufacturers – for both newer and older engines. It is recommended especially for all on-highway service applications, and is also recommended for off-highway applications, especially where all-season use is desired.

Hi,
saaber1 - "Magnesium" is typically used as a detergent. It is being replaced in some HDEOs by the more expensive "Calcium" products

HDEOs that are not endorsed "mixed fleet" and carry dual petrol/diesel API/ACEA Quality ratings should NOT be used in petrol engines. This especially applies to those with a very high TBN due to their likely SA levels

Doug, what about Mobil Delvac MX 15w40 SL.C4+ or the Delo 400 Multigrade? Both listed as multi fleet.

Hi,
IcebergS2000 - It you are positive it is SM rated along with the "C"it is therefore a "mixed fleet lubricant

I hate to bother you but now I'm scared about my Amsoil ACD SAE30. It carries an SL rating and ACEA A3. Is this acceptable?

BuickGN,

All of Amsoil's diesel oils are dual rated. The SL signifies that it is good for any gasoline engine requiring API SL service, as well as diesel engines requiring API CI+4, etc.

Doug was just using the SM example since it is the newest API gasoline designation.

Amsoil's new CJ+4 diesel oils are SM rated, but the older CI+4 oils do not meet SM as far as I know, only SL. This is just due to higher than allowable chemical additives such as zinc and phosphorus.

Originally Posted By: Ben99GT
According to Horsepower TV, Rotella will cause engine sludge in a gasoline engine.
LOL.gif
smirk2.gif

Well, if Rotella was a sponsor, they'd change their tune
LOL.gif

Originally Posted By: saaber1
Originally Posted By: Ben99GT
According to Horsepower TV, Rotella will cause engine sludge in a gasoline engine.
LOL.gif
smirk2.gif

What is horsepower tv? I assume an informercial? What brand are they trying to sell if it is an infomercial?

Basically, it's a half hour TV show that takes a car and mods it to add horsepower, better brakes, sometimes its looks, etc.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: il_signore97
BuickGN,

All of Amsoil's diesel oils are dual rated. The SL signifies that it is good for any gasoline engine requiring API SL service, as well as diesel engines requiring API CI+4, etc.

Doug was just using the SM example since it is the newest API gasoline designation.

Amsoil's new CJ+4 diesel oils are SM rated, but the older CI+4 oils do not meet SM as far as I know, only SL. This is just due to higher than allowable chemical additives such as zinc and phosphorus.

Awesome. Thank you. I was about to drain it out in the middle of my work parking lot lol.

Originally Posted By: Gary Allan

And current Rotella T Synthetic 5w40 is SM/CJ rated. Perfectly fine for gasoline engines. It seems to me that Shell is at least somewhat actively courting the gasoline engine market with RTS.

Originally Posted By: 440Magnum
Originally Posted By: Gary Allan

And current Rotella T Synthetic 5w40 is SM/CJ rated. Perfectly fine for gasoline engines. It seems to me that Shell is at least somewhat actively courting the gasoline engine market with RTS.

I agree. I think that Rimula, however, isn't ..even though it carries the spark ignition designations. Rotella sorta spells out mixed fleet, while Rimula specifically mentions heavy duty gasoline engines when stating it's designed for fleet use.

Looks like GM is going with a Global Rating system. GEOS A for US gas engines and GEOS B for Diesel and Euro gas engines. So, the new diesel oils should be perfectly applicable for gas engines, just like current Dual-Rated HD oils are ok for Euro engines.

http://www.imakenews.com/lng/e_article001342908.cfm?x=bf7bMpH,b4bRbnH9

API Scrutinizes GM GEOS

By Steve Swedberg

General Motors has been hard at work developing a global engine oil specification for its vehicles -- and last week the American Petroleum Institute got a look at some possible certification costs that oil marketers may face under the new scheme. On Feb. 3, the API Lubricants Committee held a special Standards Meeting in Houston, where Kevin Ferrick, API's manager for engine oil licensing, presented the automaker's new Global Engine Oil Standard (GEOS) to the group.

The meeting heard how the GEOS standard was developed, the testing regime oils must pass for certification to it, and some ballpark figures GM is evaluating for licensing oils to the new specification. Worldwide, GM sells more than 8.3 million vehicles a year, so its certification plans will affect engine oil marketers around the globe.

Currently, GM uses the ILSAC/Oil system, licensed through API, to identify oils meeting the requirements for its gasoline-fueled engines. The current standard under this system is ILSAC GF-4, and its upgrade, GF-5, is on the anvil now. However, the GF standard is mainly designed for vehicles made in North America and Japan. The European market uses standards from ACEA (the Association des Constructeurs Europeens d'Automobiles), Europe's auto manufacturers association.

While it voices support for development of the GF-series, GM says it needs its own global standard for engine oils. Last October, the company outlined the reasoning behind this decision. (See Lube Report, Oct. 15.) Speaking to the Independent Lubricant Manufacturers Association, Eric R. Johnson of GM Powertrain explained that GM maintains a large number of internal engine oil specifications. This leads to a lot of duplication or near-duplication of requirements and results in significant redundancy.

Johnson pointed out that GM uses 20 different engines which are produced at 18 manufacturing plants worldwide. With one "globally standardized engine oil platform," the auto giant believes that it will achieve improved quality and greater customer satisfaction. GM also believes that GEOS will help meet environmental goals, such as increased fuel economy, optimized drain intervals and improved emissions performance.

GEOS actually includes two distinct products, GEOS A and GEOS B, Johnson explained. GEOS A is intended for worldwide use as factory-fill engine oil in GM gasoline engines, and as service-fill for GM worldwide, except in Europe.

GEOS B is intended for worldwide use as factory-fill and service-fill oil in GM light-duty diesel engines. It is also intended as the service-fill engine oil for GM gasoline engines in Europe.

Both versions require additional hurdles above and beyond the slate of engine sequence and physical and chemical tests that are used to certify oils for ILSAC GF-4. GEOS candidate oils will undergo most of those same tests – sometimes with stricter limits -- plus a number of ACEA engine tests and proprietary General Motors tests. All of this will add up to a sizeable cost for achieving the certification.

Timing for the new standard was presented at last week's API meeting. The first of the two to roll out, GEOS B, is to be introduced for factory fill in Europe in the first half of this year, and in time for service fill for the continent's 2010 model-year vehicles.

GEOS A is targeted for introduction as GM's U.S. factory fill in the first half of 2010, and for service fill in time for the 2011 model year.

Two big questions now are whether and for how much GM plans to license GEOS, as it already licenses Dexron VI transmission fluids. At the October ILMA meeting, Eric Johnson hedged a bit and said his company was "looking at" licensing fees. At last week's API meeting, the issue of royalties was more pronounced. Participants heard that GM has identified the name and a logo, and is in the process of registering both.

API heard that GM was "exploring options" related to licensing, and got a peek at GM's fee structure ideas. The following table shows the auto company's thoughts compared to the current API structure.

GM Considerations
API Today

Possibility of both licensing fee and royalty on licensed products sold Minimum royalty:
$1,050 for API members
$1,250 for nonmembers
Fees considered with the following information in mind:
Application fees in U.S. range from $1,000 to $5,000 per year;
Underhood royalty rates in U.S. range from 32 cents to $1 per gallon Royalty of $0.0015 per gallon of API-licensed oils sold after the first million gallons annually

On Monday, Ferrick said the API Lubricants Committee has no idea yet whether a GM licensing program will make API licensing less appealing. "Members did express concern also on the impact GEOS may have on GF-5 development," he told Lube Report. "In the meeting last week, some members raised the possibility that API may have to consider other alternatives, other options. But for now, we see GF-5 going ahead as normal. GM says they support it, and Chrysler, Ford and the Japanese Automobile Manufacturers Association all still want GF-5."

OEM specifications are well-established on the heavy-duty engine oil side of the industry, "and it's not unusual to have company specifications, even on the passenger car side," Ferrick pointed out. "GM has made it clear that GEOS is a global standard and it's different." He also observed that GM has been a big player in every GF specification to date.

In response to questions from Lubes'n'Greases magazine, GM spokesman Tom Read said his company expects to release the brand name for licensing GEOS "before the end of the first quarter." He also confirmed that GM has pending approvals on several oil products. This would make sense, given GM's desire to have GEOS B oils as factory fill in European engines this year.

While GM is moving ahead with GEOS, it states it still supports ILSAC's GF standards. "GM has worked cooperatively with ILSAC for many years now and we look forward to continuing that relationship," Read reiterated. "The main advantage of the GEOS spec is that there would be one oil spec versus the current multiple worldwide GM oil specs."

Originally Posted By: BuickGN

Awesome. Thank you. I was about to drain it out in the middle of my work parking lot lol.

LOL... No problem. I figured that if you're anything like me it might have been drained out already!!!!

cheers3.gif

Originally Posted By: Audi Junkie

Possibility of both licensing fee and royalty on licensed products sold Minimum royalty:
$1,050 for API members
$1,250 for nonmembers
Fees considered with the following information in mind:
Application fees in U.S. range from $1,000 to $5,000 per year;
Underhood royalty rates in U.S. range from 32 cents to $1 per gallon Royalty of $0.0015 per gallon of API-licensed oils sold after the first million gallons annually

Can anyone expand on the above? Does this relate to $ GM makes for having "use castrol" or whatever stickers or on the oil caps? So many people are influenced by these stickers/caps and they seem to be based just on marketing. Or if this is something totally different, how do those royalties work?

Mobil 1 Turbo Diesel Truck also meets the API SM specification for gasoline engines used in mixed fleets.

Mobil Delvac 1 ESP also meets the API SM specification for gasoline engines used in mixed fleets.

Mobil Delvac 1 also meets the API SL specification for gasoline engines used in mixed fleets.

Mobil Delvac 1 5W-40 is recommended for use in a wide range of heavy-duty applications and operating environments found in the trucking, mining, construction, marine and agricultural industries. It is also suitable for gasoline service in mixed diesel/gasoline fleets.

Applications

Mobil Delvac 1 SHC 5W-40 is recommended for use in all types of heavy duty, 4-cycle high speed diesel engine applications including those which are turbo-charged or intercooled. It is particularly suiteable for life boat engines and emergency generators operating under the most severe service conditions.

Mobil 1 ESP Formula M 5W-40 is an advanced performance synthetic engine oil designed to provide exceptional cleaning power, wear protection and overall performance. Mobil 1 ESP Formula M 5W-40 is engineered to help prolong the life and maintain the efficiency of Car Emission Reduction Systems in both diesel and gasoline powered automobiles that require an oil that is approved against Daimler Chrysler's MB 229.51 specification.

Features and Benefits

Mobil 1 ESP Formula M 5W-40 is made with a proprietary blend of high performance components formulated to be fully compatible with the latest Diesel Particulate Filters (DPF's) and Gasoline Catalytic Converters (CAT's). Mobil 1 ESP Formula M 5W-40 has been designed to deliver outstanding overall performance and protection. Key features and benefits include:

Mobil 1 Formula M 5W-40 is engineered to help prolong the life of both diesel and gasoline powered automobiles that require an oil that is approved against Mercedes Benz MB-229.5 specification.

Originally Posted By: tonycarguy
Is M1 5w40 considered a diesel oil?

Yes and no. 5w-40 synth falls into 2 categories. Euro PCMO 5w-40 carries light diesel specs, like CF and has HT/HS of 3.5cP. HDMO 5w-40 synths carry Heavy Duty Diesel specs, like CH... with HT/HS of 4.1cP and also have the API gas specs, such as SL or SM.

Originally Posted By: DmanWho
Quote:
Here are the differences between diesel engine oil and gasoline engine oil. In a modern diesel engine there is substantial exhaust soot contamination that the engine oil must contend with. Diesel oil is designed with much higher levels of detergency and dispersency to fight the soot contamination. Like ZDDP anti-wear chemistry, detergents are a surface active chemistry and compete directly for space on metal surfaces, such as the cam lobe and lifter face. So, in practice, the effective level of Zinc anti-wear is a bit lower than what we expect it to be based solely on chemical analysis. Additionally, the ZDDP that is generally used in diesel formulas is primary ZDDP (which activates at higher engine temperatures) since a diesel engine runs predominantly at operating temperature. In a gasoline engine, we must have both primary and secondary ZDDP (which activates at lower temperatures) since the engine will experience a significant number of cold starts. Also, the viscosity modifier polymers that are used in multi-viscosity engine oil to prevent viscosity loss at operating temperature (to protect the bearings) are different for diesel oil and gasoline oil. Diesels operate at essentially the same rpm all day long and need polymers that are shear stable to protect the bearings. Gasoline engines experience many large ranges of rpm during operation and require polymers that have both shear stability and thickening efficiency capability to protect the bearings.

-Taken from Cam-Shield.com.

Is this true ? It would mean that diesel oils arent really suited by design ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back