Prorated warranties and Motorcraft Max Batteries

On battery warranties, if you get another battery under warranty, even if you have pay money in on a pro-rated warranty, the warranty does not start over again. Is that correct? Does that work that way with Motorcraft batteries? All others?

I havent sold a Motorcraft in years but I can speak to Dekas policy. With Deka, if we replace the battery under free replace the replacement battery carries whatever amount of warranty is remaining from the original battery. If we replace under prorate, the warranty starts over.

Lets say I sell you an 84 month battery. That battery has 2 year free replace and then prorated for the next 5 years. If I replace that battery at 18 months under free replace, the replacement battery would have 6 months of free replace and then 5 years of prorate. If I sell you an 84 month battery and I replace it under prorate at say 36 months, the replacement battery carries the 2 year free replace followed by the 5 year prorate.

Last time I sold a Motorcraft battery the warranty was handled the same way

Do you think it is worthwhile to run the warranty through at 65 months on a 36month free replacement/100 month prorated warranty? This would be for a Motorcraft Battery.

If the battery is replaced under the "free replacement" portion of the warranty, you maintain the original warranty start date, as we would refer to the original selling receipt/repair order. If it is in the pro-rated portion of the warranty, and you pay a portion, the warranty starts over based on that date. Note you must keep the receipt in order for a dealer to process the warranty. Any batteries I sell OTC I give the customer 2 copies. If it was done through service they can reprint the repair usually. If we do not have that, then we do not get reimbursed for the battery through our vendor. Also note that Ford themselves does not send batteries to the dealerships. They are distributed via FADs, Ford Authorized Distributors, and they also handle the warranty claims. I have a rep from one of my FADs that comes in every week to give us cookies and tell us the latest scuttlebutt.

That all being said, Ford is transitioning the Motorcraft Max batteries to just a 3 year free replacement warranty with no pro-rated warranty. The new batteries that are being delivered reflect this, but I am not sure of the actual date this goes into effect.

Also to note that a battery which is replaced under the New Vehicle Limited Warranty, NVLW, does not carry a 36/100 warranty. The warranty is honored for the remainder of the NVLW, so 3year/36,000 mile warranty, or 12month/12,000mile warranty from the installation date if it extends beyond the end of the NVLW. Starting in 2019 we were send stickers to put on NVLW batteries covering the warranty portion of the battery label, and then newer batteries had a double label which we peel off to indicate there is no warranty on this battery.

The latest AC Delco I just bought has a 42 month free replacement warranty with no pro rating portion. I addition to my receipt, the warranty is recorded on my frequent buyer account of my local auto store.

If it is in the pro-rated portion of the warranty, and you pay a portion, the warranty starts over based on that date. Note you must keep the receipt in order for a dealer to process the warranty.

That all being said, Ford is transitioning the Motorcraft Max batteries to just a 3 year free replacement warranty with no pro-rated warranty. The new batteries that are being delivered reflect this, but I am not sure of the actual date this goes into effect.
You say the warranty starts over based on that date. Is the warranty different based on the date?

Yes, it is all based on the date of sale. The date on the physical battery itself is irrelevant. So lets say you bought a battery 5 years ago, and had it warrantied out at a dealer and paid on this date. The 3 year free replacement / 100 month pro-rated warranty starts over because you participated financially.

I am making the assumption here that everyone understands it is a total of 100 month warranty and the first 3 years are free replacement. Some people don't seem to grasp this, but I assume anyone on here gets it.

Yes, it is all based on the date of sale. The date on the physical battery itself is irrelevant. So lets say you bought a battery 5 years ago, and had it warrantied out at a dealer and paid on this date. The 3 year free replacement / 100 month pro-rated warranty starts over because you participated financially.

I am making the assumption here that everyone understands it is a total of 100 month warranty and the first 3 years are free replacement. Some people don't seem to grasp this, but I assume anyone on here gets it.
Thank You. Last time I tried to run a pro-rated warranty, the staff at the parts counter told me that the warranty doesn't start over again. But haven't seen anyone say that here with anytime a pro-rated warranty is supposed to be with any brand. Not surprised that Motorcraft would be eliminating the Pro-rated warranty, since the idea of a warranty would be you don't want your consumers to have to be using it.
At first, I thought I was just going to price shop for a battery, since it wouldn't worthwhile to run the warranty, but now it looks like it will be.

Ford used to prorate from the last purchase date weather or not the last purchase was a fresh new purchase or replaced under warranty and prorated.

Today I found out they changed the policy around 2018 where if the battery was prorated already, they go back to the original fresh new purchse date.

After 25 years, I today went to Walmart and got their 96r 590 for $99 and will no longer buy batteries from Ford or recommend anyone else does. I have 4 Fords btw.

Walmart 96r590

Ford used to prorate from the last purchase date weather or not the last purchase was a fresh new purchase or replaced under warranty and prorated.

Today I found out they changed the policy around 2018 where if the battery was prorated already, they go back to the original fresh new purchse date.

After 25 years, I today went to Walmart and got their 96r 590 for $99 and will no longer buy batteries from Ford or recommend anyone else does. I have 4 Fords btw.

Walmart 96r590
An EverStart Plus battery has only 2 year free replacement, then it's completely out of warranty. There is no pro-rating.

An EverStart Plus battery has only 2 year free replacement, then it's completely out of warranty. There is no pro-rating.
I'm fine with that, Its cheaper to replace and readily available close by and just about anywhere, save a trip to the slimy and sleazy dealership.

The WM battery is identical to the Motorcraft in appearance. I suspect it will last as long if not longer. Time will tell, I'll report my findings here unless the battery outlives me!

I noticed all the recent Motorcraft batteries do not last as long as the older ones, I used to get at least 6-7 years back then, now just about after 3 years they are no good.

Ford is ruining the Motorcraft name. Makes me not replace any other part with Motorcraft, maybe even spark plugs too.

On battery warranties, if you get another battery under warranty, even if you have pay money in on a pro-rated warranty, the warranty does not start over again. Is that correct? Does that work that way with Motorcraft batteries? All others?
Speaking as a former AAP employee your warranty is a specific number of months say 60, any replacement does NOT start another 60 that's what you bought that's what you get !!

it is the same with Interstate...in the case of a family member's F150, the Interstate battery they replaced was a lesser model (which lasted longer than the original warranty when added to the time the original Interstate lasted)...no extra replacement warranty time period...

Bill

Back