Propylene Glycol vs. Ethylene Glycol?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I know the propylene glycol is less toxic, but are there any performance differences?

I just bought PG and the bottle claims 100% compatibility with EG and identical performance. But there must be some tradeoff??

Propylene glycol has a lower boiling point & a higher freezing point.

I am curious about the toxicity of propylene compared to ethylene. On a scale of 1-10 how would the two be ranked in relation of each other. I wonder if the marketing department is overhyping the environmental benefits of propylene glycol?
dunno.gif

http://www.atsdr.cdc.gov/tfacts96.html

HIGHLIGHTS: Ethylene glycol and propylene glycol are clear liquids used in antifreeze and deicing solutions. Exposure to large amounts of ethylene glycol can damage the kidneys, heart, and nervous system. Propylene glycol is generally regarded as safe for use in food. Ethylene glycol has been found in at least 34, and propylene glycol in at least 5, of the 1,416 National Priorities List sites identified by the Environmental Protection Agency (EPA).

[ March 26, 2004, 08:52 PM: Message edited by: Bob Woods ]

In an engine that is running normally (nothing broken, everything works as it's supposed to), is there anything wrong with running PG instead of EG?

I have been using it for about 10 years in my truck, and was using it in my 92 Grand Am before trading it off 2 years ago. I doubt the head gaskets blowing in both were due to the PG. I use Prestone Low Tox. You can get it at Advance auto for the same price as green EG. Siera sells it too. If you do have a leak, it is far less likely to poison your pets or your neighbors pets.

It is less efficient than EG. A 50/50 mixture does not protect as low. However it is less viscous, maybe giving better heat transfer. Evans sells a water free PG coolant. Go for it.

PG is non toxic. Its what the "pink" marine/RV antifreeze for fresh water systems is made of.

In the PG for use in car radiators they add some anti-corrosion additives that make it low toxic rather than non toxic.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back