"Propping up" a cheap dino oil?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I see all this cheap dino oil at Canadian Tire, Zellers and other small stores and I was wondering if it's possible to "prop up" the cheap oil with some additive in a bottle like Valvoline Maxlife. I understand that while almost all oils now are rated to at least API SL, the cheap stuff might not have too great of an additive package which the more costly dino oils would certainly have. So therefor I was wondering about the possibility of boosting the cheap oil's additive properties with some off-shelf additive in a bottle stuff.

Would you wind up with the same money invested or even less overall if you just started with Pennzoil that has all the good additives to start with plus the premium basestock that comes in the yellow bottle vs many low cost oils still using some group I in the brew ?

Yes. Motorbike hit the nail right on the head. But, you can make the Pennz quite a bit better doing the same thing.

I think Pennzoil has demonstrated pretty well it will not thicken up over a long interval .It went 7k in a turbo motor recently
thumbsdown.gif
Take that thumb and flip it right side up for proper viewing
cheers.gif

Some #132 with Pennzoil works mighty fine I might add .

I was just curious about the possibility, I'd never do it myself unless I was real hard up for money. So the Pennzoil in the yellow bottle (not the high mileage stuff, right?) has all the good additives in it? I think I'll give some of the 5w30 Pennzoil a try next time I'm due for an oil change.

quote:

You get what you pay for.

Kind of, I suppose. The Chevron is routinely discounted to 69 cents at Kragen’s. About the same price at Costco. And, it’s only around a buck everywhere else. In all fairness, this is an exception to the rule. It makes is a heck of a value.

quote:

Originally posted by darrenc:
If you can get Chevron or Havaline (they are the same now), you'd also get a well-formulated conventional oil.

I could not agree any more! Very good oil at a very good price.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back