Property taxes

Status
Not open for further replies.
So I live in Illinois this is the second year my taxes went up like 2 grand. I received my escrow statement September 23 telling me this. So I went to my local township to appeal this tax increase and they tell me the deadline is sept 10. So apparently I missed the deadline so am I screwed ?

Don't feel bad, for the taxes I pay on Long Island for a modest home on a 55x100 lot I could own a small estate in some states. Then our corrupt officials cut a deal with a developer to bring ***** Sporting Goods and Buffalo Wild Wings to a local mall. It would increase employment in the area LOLLLOLOLLL. What they didn't tell anyone was the school taxes here are going up an average of $1,000-$1,200/year to cover it.

Get yourself an attorney who grieves taxes, it might help get you a reduction next year if you missed the deadline. They typically get 40%-50% of any savings if successful. Some people grieve their own taxes. Good luck!

Originally Posted By: Alfred_B
It funds the schools. Why are you complaining -- don't want education for the children?

That's a lot of money, regardless.

It funds the schools. Why are you complaining -- don't want education for the children?

Do you really believe the money you pay in taxes actually pays for the things they say it does? Usually some crooked politician does something else with it.

Originally Posted By: motor_oil_madman

Do you really believe the money you pay in taxes actually pays for the things they say it does? Usually some crooked politician does something else with it.

This is 100% accurate.

With the money collected in property taxes around here, they could BUILD AN ENTIRELY NEW school building - every single year!! .

....and yet the teacher's pay sucks......

Spending in general (everywhere) is out of control - our small town is constantly building nicer things than my children had - as the tax base fades. The freeloading crowd has it so much nicer as I eat more taxes near retirement

That should be the responsibility of their parents. Just like I have to pay tolls to use roads, because I use them, parents should have to pay higher taxes for all the education for their children.

It largely funds CPS.

Well, actually, it funds YOUR schools so your income taxes can be sent to CPS.

In IL CPS gets more per student than the state average.

https://www.illinoisreportcard.com/Distr...tid=15016299025

While the typical school district in the state of IL self funds spending at 67.4%, getting only 25% of their funds from the state, CPS only self funds 51.7% (and that's up, I've seen it below 50% in years past) and gets almost 34% of it's funds from the state.

CPS spends approximately 25% more than the state average per student. This is true when you look at just instructional spending, or you add all spending (operational spending.) While the typical district in the state spends $12.8k/student, CPS spends $15.3k/student.

https://www.illinoisreportcard.com/Distr...tid=15016299025

Therefore, when you combine the fact of higher spending per student and higher contributions by state and federal funds for CPS, it's hard to see where getting less for pensions from the state eats away at the greater funding from the state and federal monies pouring into CPS299. (CPS complains they are not getting pension money like downstate districts. But I don't think downstate districts are getting an extra $3K/student, going to teachers pensions.)

CPS is taking more than it's fair share of state funds for education and now it wants even more.

One other thing to consider in my analysis above. The sheer size of CPS means it distorts the numbers. CPS is 20% of all students in the state. So their sheer size drives up the state funding average and drives down the self funding figures. So with CPS as 20% of the total student population, the real state averages without CPS are:

Self Funding: 71.3%
State Funding: 22.8
Federal Funding: 5.9
Funding Per Student 12.2k

CPS really skews the numbers with about 20% of the students in the state.

392k students in CPS out of a state enrollment of 2 million. That is almost exactly 20%

When you compare CPS to the other 80% of the state, the disparity in funding is even more apparent.

Fewer funds are going to non CPS districts compared to what CPS gets and CPS spends even more per student compared to non CPS districts.

Therefore, your real estate taxes must be higher because the state is likely not sending your district the same sheer volume of money per student compared to CPS.

We all know the government does a wonderful job in almost every endeavor.

We need to band together and give them more money so they can do an even better job next year.

They went UP $2k??? Good lord I don't even pay that per year! And I live 5 minutes from downtown Minneapolis!

Except the results are mediocre at best compared to our competitors. We do not get value for the $$

Originally Posted By: rshaw125

Except the results are mediocre at best compared to our competitors. We do not get value for the $$

That's the American way.

Just look at our military -- $1 trillion+ spending every year and can't compete with an Afghan warlord with a 1985 AK-47.

A lot of children go to school but many of them don't get 'educated'.....It's hard to educate children when the parents don't get involved and take no RESPONSIBILITY....Throwing money at a PROBLEM rarely solves it....

That's the American way.

Just look at our military -- $1 trillion+ spending every year and can't compete with an Afghan warlord with a 1985 AK-47.

We could 'compete' with that warlord if our soldiers hands weren't tied (usually by people who have never been in harms way)...

That's the American way.

But the arms contractors and the politicians receiving their lobby money are making a killing.

Many people are leaving certain states due to the broken school system and taxes constantly going up.

Illinois had to give some lottery winners an 'I O U' because the state ws broke.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back