Proper way to fill my transmission with fluid, advice needed.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yesterday on the road my 07 titan blew a transmission lower cooler line. First I started to lose power then trannie started slipping, I pulled into a parking lot. A pool of fluid on the ground and steady shower of fluid, opened the hood, a big mess of trannie fluid. Had truck towed home. Found the leak and purchased the rubber hose, also will replaced the other one. Today I cleaned up the engine and under my truck, then drained out remaining fluid from pan. I expect my order from amsoil tomorrow, 3 gallons. I suspect it will use most, up to 11-1/4 quarts. I know my pan holds 4 quarts. I thinking of placing 8 quarts at first, then start and let it run, then go through the gears then check. Then add as needed. This has never happen before. Is there a proper procedure to do this? Again, I suspect there is very little tranny fluid remaining.

If the Pan holds 4 quarts, then the pump started sucking air when it got to just under 4 quarts low. No pressure after that.

I doubt you'll need much more than pan capacity to replace what was lost.

Now, I would exchange it all, personally, because when it started slipping, you've caused some wear, and I would flush out the fluid that remained.

Fill it cold then start the engine and top off. Be sure to close off any fill or check holes before turning the engine off.

Originally Posted by Astro14
If the Pan holds 4 quarts, then the pump started sucking air when it got to just under 4 quarts low. No pressure after that.

I doubt you'll need much more than pan capacity to replace what was lost.

Now, I would exchange it all, personally, because when it started slipping, you've caused some wear, and I would flush out the fluid that remained.

I agree with this and I hope your transmission was not damaged because this sounds like an disaster.

So, in direct response -

I would add 4 quarts, pump that through the transmission in a cooler line flush*. Repeat while shifting gears. Close up the cooler line. Add 4 and see where you are. I'll bet you're close... and you'll have all new fluid.

Or, add 4, shift through the gears, then check the fluid level... You may find that you're good at that point, if you're only looking to get in back in service.

*Pretty easy way to exchange fluid in the transmission. Not a flush, just using the pump to move fluid through the transmission passages and out the cooler line. Disconnect and put the return fluid line into a graduated bucket. Idle the engine. When it stops pumping. shut the engine off. Add the same amount that was pumped out and repeat until all the fluid is exchanged. Shift through each gear while idling, so that each circuit gets new fluid.

I've found that you need about 25-50% more than transmission capacity to get all the old fluid out and a nice clear, red fluid coming out of the cooler line.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by 07titan
I thinking of placing 8 quarts at first, then start and let it run, then go through the gears then check. Then add as needed. Is there a proper procedure to do this? .

That is EXACTLY how we did it at the transmission shop I worked at years ago

OK, all is fine. Drove the roads lightly, then the interstate. About 1 qt. over. will remove.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by 07titan
OK, all is fine. Drove the roads lightly, then the interstate. About 1 qt. over. will remove.

Thank you for the update. Happy to hear all is well. How long do you plain on running this ATF?

The fluid I replaced was recently changed in November, every 2 years I change out fluid, 3 drain and fills during a 3 week period. Last 6 years I've done this. Many will say a waste, but I do it anyway. The fluid I lost was nearly new, fluid removed from pan was clean and red, no discolor. Anyway, may change out this spring, oil change time, that I do twice a year. Today I will remove the xtra qt. or so. I'm probably over do it for my truck, but I don't mind. Thanks.

At first, 1 gal,,ran truck then thru gears, check dip stick, place 1 more gal. Then ran truck and thru gears, then drove lighty before hitting highway. Returned and check, estimated about 1 qt. maybe more. Turn out I removed 2 qts. Truck holds 11 and 1/4 qts from what I understand, it needed 6 qts. Running good, glad I was able to pull over when first sighs of loss of power and slipping. No ideal when hose blew. Just luckie for once.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back