Proper torquing of oil filter

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've installed thousands of oil filters since I used to work at a quick lube. For spin on filters I put them hand tight and I always lubricate the gasket with clean oil. For the cartridge filters I would usually snug them too until I met a 4 cyl. Toyota and the 4 cyl. Mazdas. For those I made sure to torque them.

Originally Posted By: demarpaint
Hand tight + 1/4 turn with the wrench has been working since the 1970's. I guess there's no point in changing now.

LOL! I'm the same. I used to hand tighten them but as I've gotten older I snug them a little with a wrench. Like others have said I've never have one leak.

Originally Posted By: JDW
Have always hand tightened them until I feel "No way this is working loose"
wink.gif
Never had a leak as well .

X2
thumbsup2.gif

Originally Posted By: eljefino
I go at it with a greasy gloved hand. The natural slip keeps it from getting too tight.

If I have problems unscrewing it in the future, a dry rag will degrease it and then I can go mogilla gorilla on it.

Same here just no glove. Oily paw and tighten it as far as friction allows. Usually comes somewhere close to 3/4 turn after contact.

My last oil change, my awkward to reach spin on filter came off very easily. I had hand tightened it as far as possible while wearing mechanics gloves, so I was a bit surprised. I'm guessing that the heat makes it easier to remove.

I decided I would use a torque wrench and oil filter cap this time (with a few extensions). Very hard to have a feel for how tight it went on. Let's see how easily it comes off next time.

Get a 1/2 drive impact wrench, set it to max, and let 'er rip.

That's how the Jiffy Lube next to my work does it, anyhow.

Thanks to you all for your responses. The reason I asked is because I once had a devil of a time removing a filter torqued on by some gorilla strong guy at a quick lube place. I spent about 45 minutes cursing a blue streak under my Jeep wrestling the filter off. The ordeal gave me an idea for a way to install a can filter onto a car, to the correct torque, without using torque tools.
Now, Id be really interested to know if any of you would, given equally performing filters, choose one which had the tool free torque feature over one without it. I know I'm addressing experienced DIY guys who have years of experience putting filters on. However, consider for a moment the barely trained quick change guys who over or under tighten filters. Do you think a quick change outfit would use those filters if for no other reason than to limit lawsuits from improperly installed filters?

Oil the base gasket lightly with new engine oil, and turn 2/3 to 3/4 turn after the gasket makes initial contact with the engine (use hands or appropriate tool if needed). Should never have a problem if you follow that process.

I use 1 hand and as soon as I feel the gasket touch the base I turn it an extra half turnish or so.
I've used this method since my teens. I've never had a gasket leak or fail and they are always easy to remove.
I understand the quick lube places over-torquing due to liability but there is a point where it's beyond sensible.

Always Always Always tighten by hand.

I go until the oil filter is snug (cannot be loosely spun) and then an additional 1/2 to 3/4 of a turn more, per a lot of oil filter manufacturer recommendations.

Last edited:
Any aftermarket filter I've ever taken off was reasonbly easy.

Only twice in my life have I fought tooth and nail to remove filters; OEM filter on my 1997 Grand Marquis and OEM filter on my 2006 Dmax. What maniac did those two ought to be shot. I had to physically destroy them just to get them removed. Absolutely absurd.

I did once see a friend install a filter and have a dripping leak. Turned out to be some dirt/debris on the seal. Not the fault of the filter or the seal. Once it was removed, cleaned and reoiled, it sealed up fine.

What we see here in all these responses is that there is a fairly wide range of opinions, but most are reasonable enough to state this:
It does not make a hoot bit of difference, because if it did, you'd see oil filters fall off all the time.

This is one of those topics where the anecdotal evidence is overwhelming and not worth debating.

I offer this simple torque spec:
if it leaks, it's too loose; if you crumpled the can, it's too tight.

Done.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: dnewton3
I offer this simple torque spec:
if it leaks, it's too loose; if you crumpled the can, it's too tight.

Done.

Dirt simple. Working in a small private shop when I was young we did thousands of oil changes. This works every time with a spin on filter!

Originally Posted By: Jeepjorge
Thanks to you all for your responses. The reason I asked is because I once had a devil of a time removing a filter torqued on by some gorilla strong guy at a quick lube place. I spent about 45 minutes cursing a blue streak under my Jeep wrestling the filter off. The ordeal gave me an idea for a way to install a can filter onto a car, to the correct torque, without using torque tools.
Now, Id be really interested to know if any of you would, given equally performing filters, choose one which had the tool free torque feature over one without it. I know I'm addressing experienced DIY guys who have years of experience putting filters on. However, consider for a moment the barely trained quick change guys who over or under tighten filters. Do you think a quick change outfit would use those filters if for no other reason than to limit lawsuits from improperly installed filters?

Could have also been a dry gasket. Dry gasket plus a little extra tighter than normal and you have one [censored] of a time getting it off.

Originally Posted By: Hyde244
Always Always Always tighten by hand.

I go until the oil filter is snug (cannot be loosely spun) and then an additional 1/2 to 3/4 of a turn more, per a lot of oil filter manufacturer recommendations.

Exactly. If you feel the need to tighten with a wrench, maybe you are not the best person to be doing it.

I just follow the instructions on the side of the can. Seems simple enough to me. Have rarely had an issue doing it that way...funny how that works. The majority of problems I've had getting a filter off were ones I didn't put on, the only reason I have a filter wrench.

There are instructions as mentioned. Make sure the gasket from the old filter didn't stick to the oil filter mount.

Originally Posted By: Bamaro
If you feel the need to tighten with a wrench, maybe you are not the best person to be doing it.

Well in your opinion I may not be the best person to do it, but in many hundreds of oil changes over the last 50+ years I've never had a problem with one leaking. The only time I've ever had a problem getting an oil filter off is when the previous owner had it changed at some oil change place or the dealership.
I usually tighten it by hand and double check with the wrench to be sure it is tight. We are talking a little snugging here - not 1 - 2 more complete turns! LOL!

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back