Proper repair?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello all,

I recently had this tire repaired at Costco (purchased from there). I knew the tire had a leak however with the snowy conditions at the time I did not see the offending debris. With that said, I saw the repair location today and am curious if this is too close to the sidewall? It looks borderline to me. I do about 30k miles per year with lots of 75mph+ driving.

The tire in question is a Michelin CrossClimate in a 205/55/16 size. It currently resides on the RR of my Jetta TDi wagon. As an aside, the tires have been awesome since I bought them about 10k miles ago. Fantastic is wintry conditions and even better in the wet.

IMG_2499.jpg

IMG_2500.jpg

IMG_2501.jpg

Tape measure!? Put that ruler down!

Just patch it up! I do this ALL THE TIME. Even if on side, it (patching) still work. I too go back to store and only expect to hear them saying, "you know... blah, blah". I go right home and open my top drawer (tool chest), gather stuff, patch it up! Then, run the air compressor, inflate it. Then (best time, also might as well) check all tires. Usually I wait few hours to get the tire into "cold", so that I can inflate to proper PSI. My tires continues to last regardless how old or how long the patch was applied.

As for me, I don't know why I ALWAY drive over nails, screws, whatever. My driveway is clean and I don't drive off-road. I get nailed at least twice a year!

I'm surprised they repaired it. Normally they say they can't repair a tire if it's in the outer rib of the tire as it would flex too much and wouldn't be a proper repair. Costco does a road hazard warranty on the tires they sell so maybe they just don't want to give you a new tire.

With that said, people run tires with repairs out the outer rib all the time. Just depends if you want to go back to Costco and speak to the manager about the repair.

A tire shop, and a reputable one at that, repaired it that close to the edge ? That's shocking !! 99 out of 100 times that's a "we can't repair that since it's so close to the sidewall. We can replace the tire for only $186.83 plus mounting, balancing, etc fees".

Originally Posted by hallstevenson
A tire shop, and a reputable one at that, repaired it that close to the edge ? That's shocking !! 99 out of 100 times that's a "we can't repair that since it's so close to the sidewall. We can replace the tire for only $186.83 plus mounting, balancing, etc fees".

When you do the mounting and balancing at Costco, they include a 5 year road hazard warranty and also free flat repair. I'm guessing the tech was either trying to save Costco money or didn't care where he did the repair.

Originally Posted by Wolf359
I'm guessing the tech was either trying to save Costco money or didn't care where he did the repair.

I'm not sure that either of those will fly in today's lawsuit-happy world and the "where he did the repair" part would be against company policy at many places. Don't get me wrong, I've encountered tire repairs where the big stores tell me "we can't repair that since it's within 2" of the edge" (the distance seems to be arbitrary) but "Jimmy's Used Tires" will happily plug it for you without hesitation.

I know I'm going against the grain here, but if you have road hazard I would make them replace the tire, that really is too close to the edge to be 100% safe in high speed, summer driving. Now if it was a beater with no road hazard coverage that never saw the interstate-sure!

Originally Posted by Wolf359
....I'm surprised they repaired it.....
+1 To my eye, looks too close to edge for the USTMA plug patch repair. Don't know who made the call, but Costco put their name behind the repair now. Might be fine, better on the rear. But for me, I'd want a road hazard prorated price new tire. Reading this suforum, Costco tire reads like the greatest thing since sliced bread for some. This decision imo, not so much.

I would repair it . plug it put on the rear I've had them closer to the edge than that , plugged it and ran them another 40 thousand... directly in the side wall than no

Thanks all for your input. I'll be in the area of Costco sometime this week and I'll have the tire center manager look at it. I'll update with what he says.

Originally Posted by milehigh
Thanks all for your input. I'll be in the area of Costco sometime this week and I'll have the tire center manager look at it. I'll update with what he says.

I would print out those links previously mentioned and ask him about it so he doesn't give you a snow job.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back