Proper Hydraulic Oil for Haulette 4527A

Pardon me - this is probably pretty basic but I'm not experienced with hydraulics. I'm helping a friend who bought a used hydraulic lift - a Haulette 4527A. This is a fairly beefy tow-behind basket lift on battery power.

The manual calls for the following oil: "HVI AW32 or equivalent hydraulic oil with a minimum viscosity rating of 175"

He's been to a few places around town and online and has found AW32 oil - parts stores, Grainger.... but we can't find anything stating the minimum viscosity of 175. Is that a thing? or is all AW32 within that spec?

Thanks!
-m

thank you. So HVI seems to mean a range. His manual says minimum 175. Yet when I can find it listed for an HVI oil, it’s been lower, like 150. Most don’t say. I’m guessing that anything that’s a VG32 and HVI is probably acceptable, but is that true?

thank you. So HVI seems to mean a range. His manual says minimum 175. Yet when I can find it listed for an HVI oil, it’s been lower, like 150. Most don’t say. I’m guessing that anything that’s a VG32 and HVI is probably acceptable, but is that true?

What you need is an ISO32 anti-wear hydraulic oil with a Viscosity Index (VI) of > 150.

See the ISO grades verses kinematic viscositys here:

P66 power flow HE 32 comes in at 172.

Mobil DTE excel comes in around 165-168.

It’s going to be rare to find a AW32 with that high of a VI.

That test can vary about 10 points depending on the day. So anything around that 165-175 range is fine.

That spec was written Rando HDMV from Chevron. Which is 180 VI.

I recently bought a used Haulotte 45XA and I was wondering the same thing. I couldn't find any hydraulic fluids easily available locally that met the 175 VI requirement. I keep pails of SUDT2 (199 VI) on hand for my 3 Kubotas and I also use it in my self-propelled hydraulic auger and wood splitter with good results. Do you guys think it would be fine to use SUDT2 in one of these lifts?

Well, that's what the 2007 manual specs on page 27:

1664757474317.jpg

Back