Propane powered string trimmer?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: oilslick44
How do u fill it with propane?

You don't. You thread on a small propane tank like you would find in the camping department.

I saw one at Sears the other day. I believe it was a Craftsman. It might be a good idea, but I'd like to see a MTBF figure as well as a schematic. Personally, I still favor 'real' gas.

I do wonder how long a tank would last. Of course I could have the wife lug a fiver with a hose........
grin2.gif

Originally Posted By: Pablo
I do wonder how long a tank would last. Of course I could have the wife lug a fiver with a hose........
grin2.gif

It says 2 hours......

Sounds like a good idea.... The average 2-stroke produces as much polutions as 50 cars. (there are 80 million 2-stroke engines in Asia alone)

Originally Posted By: o2man98
Originally Posted By: Pablo
grin2.gif

It says 2 hours......

Sounds like it would be around 10x as expensive to run than a gas one. Those little propane bottles are getting expensive.

If you are refilling disposable tanks read some about that with the help of Mr Google. Some people suggest only reusing them about 10 times because of valve life.

I have refilled these tanks like this and would like to recommend wearing safety glasses. I have had the propane come out a little and it freezes like freon or anhydrous and would not want to get it in your eyes.

Propane burns a lot cleaner and no worry of ethanol in it. But it has less BTU's vs gas on an equal basis.

I have a feeling this is a novelty and not mainstream approach.

I think it's a terribly neat (but expensive to use) idea. We use thoes little canisters for camping all the time, so it wouldn't be too bad to get one. But I would cringe every time knowing how much it was costing me to run it!

One of the re-fill adapters is on my shopping list.

It will definitely be more expensive to operate than a comparable gasoline model, but I don't think most users would notice it. Even for me; I mow/trim just under 1.5 acres and even though I use my 2-cycle string trimmer 3-4x a month during the mowing season, It's only about 30min of use per month. If one little propane cylinder lasts even close to 2hrs like the manufacturer suggests, one or two cylinders would carry me through the mowing season. No need to worry about stale gasoline/premix sitting around, carbs and sparkplugs fouling, gasoline leakage, etc.. I think it's a decent approach for the average homeowner.

Joel

I am surprised they are introducing a string propane trimmer and not say not a lawn tractor with a large tank on the back.

It is a clean fuel for sure.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back