Propane powered string trimmer?

Status
Not open for further replies.
We would not need to discuss gummed up carbs with this one... Maybe the valves will be the issue for those? Otherwise a good idea.

Originally Posted By: Jim 5
I'm waiting for the fuel injected/catalytic convertered weed eater.

My 2-stroke Husqvarna string trimmer has a catalytic muffler on it. I think the EPA hours rating on it only rates emissions quality to last around 50-75hrs.

Originally Posted By: JTK
Originally Posted By: Jim 5
I'm waiting for the fuel injected/catalytic convertered weed eater.

My 2-stroke Husqvarna string trimmer has a catalytic muffler on it. I think the EPA hours rating on it only rates emissions quality to last around 50-75hrs.

And getting a replacement 5 years from now for your weed wacker will be worse than getting a factory converter for a car from the late 70s.
How many of these will be deleted or poked out?
Out of curiosity, have you priced a replacement yet?

Originally Posted By: Kruse

From the way it looks, once the catalyst sours, it just functions as a muffler. Basically is just a conventional muffler with two small cylindrical inserts stamped in that I assume hold the catalyst. Supposedly they don't clog up, they just aren't rated to do any 'converting' after so many hours.

Joel

Last edited:
Yeah, that husqvarna will last forever. but for many garden users 75hrs will be about the use it will see in many years of trimming. I suppose that the bulk of those trimmers will reduce the NOx with quite a few pounds. And when the insert is dead, there's nothing to worry about. Just keep on trimming. If you do worry, just replace the mluffler. Husqvarna keeps spares "forever". Have one of their biggest professional brush cutters from like 1982. Everything needed to rebuild the carb and linkage was new on the shelf just last year. That's Husqvarna and Stihl and maybe some other brands...
Husqvarna is a small town in Sweden. And we really like timber. Just FYI!

Last edited:
It will definitely be more expensive to operate than a comparable gasoline model, but I don't think most users would notice it. Even for me; I mow/trim just under 1.5 acres and even though I use my 2-cycle string trimmer 3-4x a month during the mowing season, It's only about 30min of use per month. If one little propane cylinder lasts even close to 2hrs like the manufacturer suggests, one or two cylinders would carry me through the mowing season. No need to worry about stale gasoline/premix sitting around, carbs and sparkplugs fouling, gasoline leakage, etc.. I think it's a decent approach for the average homeowner.

Joel
You will have to worry about thepropane regulator messing up and the feul lines leaking there is no free lunch.

Originally Posted By: Steve S
You will have to worry about thepropane regulator messing up and the feul lines leaking there is no free lunch.

I agree. That's why I think this unit will be more expensive to operate than a comparable gasoline model. The manufacturer does recommend removing the propane bottle for 'long term' storage, probably for the reason you mentioned. FWIW, I'd rather loose a ~$3 bottle of propane than have issues assocated with a old tank of gasoline from long term storage.

Joel

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Kruse

From the way it looks, once the catalyst sours, it just functions as a muffler. Basically is just a conventional muffler with two small cylindrical inserts stamped in that I assume hold the catalyst. Supposedly they don't clog up, they just aren't rated to do any 'converting' after so many hours.

Joel

The catalyst muffler on my husky 141 chainsaw just started smoking more as the catalyst died. No real change in performance which was never great anyways. On husky and stihl usually there is a non-epa muffler available if it did clog and you are opposed to drilling a couple holes through the whole thing...

Originally Posted By: Bluestream
Sounds like a good idea.... The average 2-stroke produces as much polutions as 50 cars. (there are 80 million 2-stroke engines in Asia alone)

And you think Asia is going to convert to propane?

I was at a local Home Depot a few minutes ago. These were marked down to $99 from $199.

Originally Posted By: ksJoe
I was at a local Home Depot a few minutes ago. These were marked down to $99 from $199.

Hmmm.. $99 for ANY 4-stroke string trimmer is a steal. Are you sure these were not store returns/open box type things?

Joel

Originally Posted By: Pete591
Propane burns a lot cleaner and no worry of ethanol in it. But it has less BTU's vs gas on an equal basis.

I have a feeling this is a novelty and not mainstream approach.
Bingo!

Originally Posted By: ksJoe

Hmmm.. $99 for ANY 4-stroke string trimmer is a steal. Are you sure these were not store returns/open box type things?

Joel

I don't think so. There were 4 or 5 of them set out in the middle of the walkway. The packaging looked new.

In another part of the store they have a big clearance section right now. There are a couple open/returned trimmers there. If these weren't new, they probably would have been over there.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back