Proof that Valvoline is good oil...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Les

Valvoline Motor Oil
Using Valvoline Motor Oil and lubricants exclusively, Studebaker's 1964 production cars share in 337 new speed records at Bonneville, Utah's famed Salt Flats. All records are official as sanctioned, earned, and certified by the United States Auto Club. After the speed runs, engines were dismantled and inspected. There was absolutely no sign of wear. Bearings were as new as the day they were removed from the packing boxes. So were rings. And there was no scuffing on cylinder walls. This is vivid testimony of Valvoline's superior lubricating ability under the most demanding driving conditions. Regardless of the type of driving you do, you can rely on Valvoline Motor Oil to protect your engine and give you dependable performance. Ask for Valvoline Motor Oil, world's first—world's finest, at service stations, garages, new car dealers, and speed shops

This is a Studebaker Classic Advertisement.
http://www.theavanti.com/Valvoline.html

Makes you want to go out and buy a Studebaker just so you can give it a fresh oil change with some 1964 model Valvoline.
smile.gif

Well, maybe not.

Les

If a person is doing 3000 mile oil changes I doubt it matters very much what brand of oil is used as long as the oil meets all requirements. Based on VOAs and UOAs that people have done here Pennzoil, Castrol, and Chevron seem to be some of the best available conventional motor oils. I think there is probably some amount of gap in quality between the best conventional motor oils and the rest but I don't know how great that gap is.

For most people with typical cars, trucks, vans, and SUVs, a good quality conventional motor oil with 3000 mile oil changes and perhaps 25,000 mile engine cleaning using Auto-RX should be adequate for long life.

Valvoline used to be very common in car racing but I don't know how common it is today in the modern world of racing.

I do know that Valvoline is still very popular with many car mechanics. But I have also met mechanics who prefer Pennzoil, Castrol, or even Mystic. One of the very best mechanics I know of recommends Castrol (a woman mechanic).

The ads that you mention for Valvoline oil are kind of dated. One good thing about Valvoline is it is pretty common. Probably only Pennzoil or Quaker State can be found in more places.

Don't care much for Valvoline, but I'd darn-near sell my first-born for an Avanti, especially one with the R3 engine (304.5 cid V8, supercharged). That car set a USAC record at Bonneville of over 170 mph in the flying mile. This was an average of two runs and wasn't even the top speed. And it did this in 1962...

Valvoline comes up for me, but neither Max Synth indicated the type of oil.

All Climate 10w30 was CAS 64742-65-0

Premium Blue 15w40 CAS 64742-54-7

Regular Maxlife 10w30 and 10w40 were about 68% (avgd) 64742-65-0 and 15% (avgd) 68037-01-4

Durablend 10w30 was avgd 56% 64742-65-0 and 28% avgd 64742-54-7

So, does anybody know what these CAS numbers are:
64742-65-0
64742-54-7
64742-65-0
68037-01-4

My car has had about 60% of its oil changes with Valvoline/Fram on a 4k change interval, it now has 210k problem free miles on the engine.

DUH!!!! I need to learn to spell better. Works now. Gee, I didn't know Valvoline had so many other products, car wax???

CAS Number: 64742650
Petroleum solvent, dewaxing heavy paraffinic
CAS Number: 64742547
Petroleum distillate, hydrotreated heavy paraffinic mineral

[ April 26, 2004, 05:19 PM: Message edited by: Schmoe ]

quote:

Originally posted by TallPaul:
Valvoline comes up for me, but neither Max Synth indicated the type of oil.

Paul it's there but click on the 5w-30 and you'll find parafinnic base oil which cannot be PAO . The 10w-30 is the one without the basestock used in which I'm 99.9% sure it would be the same as the 5w-30 which is listed

quote:

Originally posted by Motorbike:
Paul it's there but click on the 5w-30 and you'll find parafinnic base oil which cannot be PAO . The 10w-30 is the one without the basestock used in which I'm 99.9% sure it would be the same as the 5w-30 which is listed

Of course, it's right there. Has to be Group III. I overlooked it because I was looking at/for CAS numbers. Now looking back at what I listed, both Durablend and Maxlife have synthetic components, but different numbers for that part. Last I heard Maxlife had some PAO, so presumably the Durablend has some Group III. Hmmmm, maybe I could simulate the old ester Maxlife by adding a quart of Redline to several qts of AllClimate.
grin.gif

quote:

Originally posted by 69 Riv GS:
Or better yet, add some Redline to the NEW maxlife!
smile.gif

Now that would be a killer blend. I think NAPA synthetic is around $3.50. Should be Valvoline Gp III. You'd average <$4.50 a quart adding one Redline to that.

You want more proof: 1986 SAAB 900 Turbo Convert(rare) Auto, 250K+ miles on Valvoline 10W-30 dino every 7500 miles and not a single engine/turbo problem. The Turbo is not water cooled like the newer ones. I just pulled it out of storage and it runs great.

burnout.gif
Your getting in unexplained territory.First off the additive package with one oil may interfere with another.I read that someware.Another thing I left the NAPA store today and saw their synthetic oil for 3.69 qt.It is made by Valvoline and I use Amsoil 10/30 if these discount products stand up to my kind of driving for 5000 mi or more then a very superior oil like Amsoil or Redline would loose customers.We need long term useage say 200000 mi under simulated conditions like desert zero weather towing to see if Amsoil prevented wear better than Walmart oil and NAPA's oil.I for one intend to put that many miles on my car.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back