Promotive (Purolator's cheap line) Pic's

Status
Not open for further replies.
I pulled this Promotive PH5839 cartridge filter after just over 5,500 miles. It held up, but the pleats seem rather frayed:

20141209_151024_zpse4311f31.jpg

This filter is also used in the Chevy Cruze, Aveo, and Sonic. Purolator uses the same number designation (L15839), but the media seems to be much darker when new...

The purolator classic cartridge for my pentastar come out perfect... well built, tight pleats, look identical to OEM.

The puro cans? I won't use them because I can't verify the media.

Are they pleats wavy all around, or just on the one side?

I actually prefer the Driveworks to the Promotive. Though, if you've got a business account with AAP, you can get the Promotive for about $2.

Wavy pleats while not aesthetically pleasing don't hurt anything. The ProMotive line is Advance's jobber line sold in the back commercial counter. Likely identical to the Group 7 line and websites look identical.

While not great looking, looks better than many of the ecotec cartridges from many different brands that have been posted here.

I've found Napa Gold/(Wix) cartridges to be excellent quality and I can catch them at 40% off twice a year.

Thanks for the pics.

Originally Posted By: webfors
The purolator classic cartridge for my pentastar come out perfect... well built, tight pleats, look identical to OEM.

The puro cans? I won't use them because I can't verify the media.

Are they pleats wavy all around, or just on the one side?

Just on the one side. This is the third oil change I've done and the first time the pleats went psychedelic on me. The previous was actually a Purolator and there wasn't much distortion in the pleats as I recall.

For the record, you can see the Napa Gold (Wix) box corner in the upper right and that's what I plan on using here on out...

Originally Posted By: MinamiKotaro
I actually prefer the Driveworks to the Promotive. Though, if you've got a business account with AAP, you can get the Promotive for about $2.

I don't think Driveworks makes this cartridge filter, I couldn't find on the last time I checked. And I doubt I'll get it for $2, the cheapest is Fram at Wal-Mart for like $8.50 and the Napa Gold was about $9.50. At Advance the prices are around $11.50, for a filter with no metal even. Just media and plastic end caps...
smile.gif

Originally Posted By: Nickdfresh
...For the record, you can see the Napa Gold (Wix) box corner in the upper right and that's what I plan on using here on out...

I noticed the NG box and filter after the fact. Based on my experience, I think you'll be satified with the results. I get them for ~$5.50 at the local Napa semi annual sale.

And I doubt I'll get it for $2, the cheapest is Fram at Wal-Mart for like $8.50 and the Napa Gold was about $9.50. At Advance the prices are around $11.50, for a filter with no metal even. Just media and plastic end caps...
smile.gif

The very same one you have there is $2.50, if you have a commercial account at Advance.

And I doubt I'll get it for $2, the cheapest is Fram at Wal-Mart for like $8.50 and the Napa Gold was about $9.50. At Advance the prices are around $11.50, for a filter with no metal even. Just media and plastic end caps...
smile.gif

The very same one you have there is $2.50, if you have a commercial account at Advance.

Not arguing, but there is no Driveworks listing for my car or the GM 1.8L Ecotech engines on Advance's site. They only list Purolator, Fram, Hengst (which is cheap), and the Promotive...

I don't think Driveworks makes this cartridge filter, I couldn't find on the last time I checked. And I doubt I'll get it for $2, the cheapest is Fram at Wal-Mart for like $8.50 and the Napa Gold was about $9.50. At Advance the prices are around $11.50, for a filter with no metal even. Just media and plastic end caps...
smile.gif

I can get the cartridge filters for my Saturn at Wally for under $4. I have also gotten a few from Rockauto for good prices.

Not arguing, but there is no Driveworks listing for my car or the GM 1.8L Ecotech engines on Advance's site. They only list Purolator, Fram, Hengst (which is cheaper than anything), and the Promotive...

Just like there is no second tier, premium line such as the Fram "Ultra" or Purolator "Pureone" version like they make for canister filters - just the base (Extraguard, Classic) in each. The Hengst is the cheapest I've seen at $5.24, but they don't have it in stores anyways...

Originally Posted By: sayjac
...For the record, you can see the Napa Gold (Wix) box corner in the upper right and that's what I plan on using here on out...

I noticed the NG box and filter after the fact. Based on my experience, I think you'll be satified with the results. I get them for ~$5.50 at the local Napa semi annual sale.

Yeah, I've always liked Napa stuff and have used a lot of Golds in the past. I currently work not far from their main regional distribution center/store and can get anything they can at a bit of a discount...

Originally Posted By: Barkleymut

I can get the cartridge filters for my Saturn at Wally for under $4. I have also gotten a few from Rockauto for good prices.

I think you have a different cartridge filter, the Fram CH10246 I have seen are $8.44, and are between $10-13 on the web...

Um, just changed my oil and wondered what was going on with this slightly misshapen Napa Gold I pulled out?:

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back