Promaz 4 Rotor engine build video

I know nothing about rotary engines nor 4 rotor 26b engines outside of the fact that in the 787B it’s up there in my personal list of best sounding engines ever.
This video popped up over the weekend. I also watched a 3 rotor 20b build video (Here) with some really pretty anodized billet parts. Pretty interesting the differences between this and a piston engine, for one it seems like a much simpler system and different build process.

Regardless here you go () pretty interesting stuff and obviously built to make and take huge power and probably exorbitantly expensive. I wonder if you built production engines with the apex seals this guy is using if you’d have far less issues.

I used to race a '95 RX-7 in SCCA. That twin turbo wankel was a fantastic engine. Super fun to drive and happy to bang against the rev limiter all day long. They held up quite well, among the most reliable cars in SCCA. Mine was mostly stock, classed in "super stock" with the corvettes, 911, etc. Not only was it a great engine, the car was well balanced and perfectly set up. Despite that stiff competition, the RX-7 swept 1st, 2nd and 3rd place at Nationals for several years straight. One of the other members modified his car; porting, higher boost, etc. It made over 400 RWHP on the dyno and was still street legal. If Mazda came out with a new version of the Wankel and put it in the Miata or other small light sports car, I would buy one in a heartbeat.

Intro to the wankel engine, for those who are interested.
BTW, I owned an RC plane powered by that OS Wankel. It was a unique little engine.

Another interesting aspect of Wankel engines is that they have no valves, making turbocharging very effective. Even when valves are open, they still partially obstruct intake & exhaust ports. With no valves in the way, the exhaust and intake ports are both completely unobstructed, making a turbo more effective on both sides.

Rob Dahm is a great channel for rotary engines… he has an eccentric shaft for a 6 rotor he plans on building. It’s not currently driving, but for awhile he had a running and driving AWD 4 rotor RX-7, that thing was NASTY.

Back