"Promax Nutty Butter Crisp" bar

Status
Not open for further replies.
I bought this power bar for $1.49 at Trader Joe's thinking it to be a healthy snack. While eating the thing, I read "High Fructose Corn Syrup" on the label. What the heck?? Why would anyone put HFCS in a health bar? Label says: "All Natural" How about - "untruthful"?

They must have used real natural HFCS from corn, not the artificial kind derived from recycled tires.

Originally Posted By: CivicFan
They must have used real natural HFCS from corn, not the artificial kind derived from recycled tires.

crackmeup2.gif
20.gif
LOL.gif

There is nothing "natural" about HFCS and it's manufacture whatsover. I can assure you.

Originally Posted By: Drew99GT
If you read labels on almost everything, there is HFCS.

Keeps the farmers in business!

Yeah I typically read the labels first. And I do find many items with out HFCS (you've seen my rants before). This one has organic, non GMO, etc all over the label.

Anyway I got a reply from Promax (really quick!)

Quote:
Hello Paul,

Although there is no industry standard regarding the use of All Natural (in fact the FDA recently ruled that they will not take a stand on this issue and it is up to the industry to police itself) high fructose corn syrup is generally regarded as all natural. While the raw materials (fructose and glucose) are natural, the materials go through processing. This is where the debate centers. If you process a natural product does that make it artificial? The industry standard is that it is still considered natural.

With that said, we hear you and you aren't the first person to raise the high fructose corn syrup issue with us. To that end, we are introducing a high fructose corn syrup free product line and it will be available in stores in the next few months. It should be up on our website soon, if not already. Remember that in addition to protein, carbohydrates are needed to make to true energy bar. The carbohydrates come from a sugar source so there must be sugar in the bars to give your body the energy source it needs.

We appreciate your patronage and hope that you will continue to purchase our bars because they are the best tasting energy bars in the market and soon will be high fructose corn syrup free.

"Processing". Hah! That's far too bland a term for what they do to get HFCS.

Why can't they use real sugar? Paying for real sugar would eliminate the need for the customer support person explaining their definition of "natural".

Quote:
Hello Paul,

Blah blah blah... If you process a natural product does that make it artificial? The industry standard is that it is still considered natural.

Who gives a truck about voluntarily self-imposed, arbitrary industry standards?

Truth in labeling would require a processed or altered, natural, ingredient to be declared as "modified." For example, as in "modified starch" or as in "GMO" tit&tat.

Originally Posted By: Pablo
Well at least the company may be seeing light with non-HFCS offerings.

I wouldn't hold my breath whilst waiting.
LOL.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back