Prolonging the life of an engine with a rod knock.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: kschachn
Originally Posted By: Gasbuggy
Well, it burns oil so fast that I might not have to drain anything.

So it is burning it then, not leaking. You are getting energy from the combustion and Astro is correct.

Astro is surmising that I am getting equivalent power from the oil. I can not agree with that. He is not factoring in the negative impact on energy production the oil in the combustion chamber causes. IE reduced/inhibited spark, reduced octane. Not factoring in what is cycling back to the catch can from the excess blow by. Personally, having averaged many many tanks of fuel in this car over the last 13 years, the car always produced great numbers. All in all, when it was not consuming oil, or much oil. The MPG would be the same or better.

RIP HONDA

Well, it happened. Around Midnight tonight I decided to see if I could make the 20 mile trip from my house to my brothers. First 10 miles went pretty well. I just turned the stereo up and drove normally. Then it started getting louder and losing power. I drove another 5 miles to a gas station and grabbed something to enjoy while the metal parts cooled down. In the meantime, I wondered if bitog would be right. Would the car burst into flames and I somehow would be trapped inside? Would it lock up around a blind curve and a semi truck would find me soon after? Would it blow a hole in the oil pan near a protected fish reserve and end up poisoning the water?

Well, not exactly but I did have an encounter with a hill. The last 5 miles were hairy. The oil light was on for most of them. When I hit the 1 mile mark I was going uphill, floored, losing speed. Around 30 mph it blew a hole in the block. Felt like 2 cylinders were running. I pulled into a stone entrance to a farm field, smoke pouring out of everywhere, it shut off when I let off the gas.

I get a look at the hole, it's up pretty high. No meaningful oil on the street. I check to see if it will start, it does. Hmmm. I called my brother and had him drive over in my 04 Suburban which was in his driveway, incase I needed a push. At one point he did push me a bit but it wasn't necessary.

For the record, it still starts, it can barely pull away on it's own power, but once you get moving it can do 25-30. So maybe there will be a part II, final final ride.
confused.gif

one last note, even though I wasn't concerned much personally, I do understand why others were. The idea of ignoring that you will be breaking down shortly doesn't make much to someone applying logic to their own different circumstances. But for me, this is part of the reason I kept the darn car. I wanted to see how it would go out and on the roads around here at the right time it was victimless fun.

I doubt it would be fun if it stopped dead in its tracks in a critical situation posing risk to others on the road. Got to be a more productive way to have "fun".

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Lubener
I doubt it would be fun if it stopped dead in its tracks in a critical situation posing risk to others on the road. Got to be a more productive way to have "fun".

A little common sense makes it easy to avoid a problem like this. Cars just don't stop dead in their tracks, at worst you would coast it into a driveway, parking lot, grass along the road.

At least you had an automatic so if it stalled it wouldn't lock up a drive wheel unexpectedly.

Also, good job finishing that tank of gas.
wink.gif

Never seen so many red warning lights on at once.

Originally Posted By: Lubener

A little common sense makes it easy to avoid a problem like this. Cars just don't stop dead in their tracks, at worst you would coast it into a driveway, parking lot, grass along the road.

Common sense is hard to come by these days. Jack rabbit starts, tail gating, pulling out abruptly in front of people, do I need to go on? Driving purposely with a doomed engine just to see what happens (fun?) doesn't sound like common sense to me.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: eljefino
At least you had an automatic so if it stalled it wouldn't lock up a drive wheel unexpectedly.

Also, good job finishing that tank of gas.
wink.gif

Never seen so many red warning lights on at once.

I should have turned the cruise control on. Get some green in there.

Originally Posted By: dishdude
All in the name of science.

That's right, science.

thumbsup2.gif
Well that didn't take long! Nice story....will have to check the vid later it's not loading on phone.

thanks for sharing--great story--I'd do the same thing as you.......IMO there a few folks here who have their under wear on a little too tight, and it's affecting their brain function
Steve

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back