Prolonging the life of a PCV valve

Shel_B

Site Donor 2023
Apart from keeping the engine in good tune and changing the oil at appropriate intervals, is there anything that can be done that will help prolong the life of a PCV valve? Perhaps an oil with a low Noack?

I just changed the PCV in my Vibe 2azfe. 41,000 miles and it was gummed up pretty bad and took more than a couple of shakes to rattle and then it barely rattled. Car was a little old lady car and short tripped for 41,000 miles. Occasionally it would go 30 minutes up the road to her cabin and 30 minutes back.

I’ll go with don’t short trip it for the majority of miles, in this case it was 95% short tripped. I take it out once a week for a longer drive and mash the throttle from stop signs on that drive.

My belief is that it’s not about NOACK, it’s about TBN.

If you let the oil get acidic, varnish starts to form, and that will make the valve sticky. In some systems, they’re prone to sludge, again, a function of oil acid/base balance.

As part of every service a shot of carb cleaner goes in, shake it, then shake the liquid out.
Not easily done on the 2AR-FE engine due to the location of the valve.

My belief is that it’s not about NOACK, it’s about TBN.

If you let the oil get acidic, varnish starts to form, and that will make the valve sticky. In some systems, they’re prone to sludge, again, a function of oil acid/base balance.
So that comes back to appropriate OCIs. yes? Or using an oil that has a high TBN to begin with.

The original PCV on my Mazda was still ok at 600k. Mazda did not recommend a replacement or service interval, so I didn't.
The valve on my Camry is approaching 12 years and 100,000 miles and still seems to be functioning quite well. I've always thought that such mileage and time would suggest that the valve is coming to the end of its useful life. I'd like to avoid replacing it for a while, if possible. It's nice to know that at least the potential is there for a long and useful life. Thanks for posting your experience.

How about "Here’s How an Oil Catch Can Works, And Why You Might Want One" - https://bit.ly/32ebuG1

Ed
It doesn't seem appropriate for the Camry due to the location of the hoses and PCV valve and because the engine is not DI. I could be wrong, and would gladly listen to any explanation as to why I might be wrong, but right now, with what I know, I'll pass on the catch can idea. Thanks for jumping in.

I replaced the PCV valve on my Honda V6 well after 100,000 miles. The old one still rattled quite easily.

So you could buy a Honda. Or change the oil regularly (following the OLM, mine averages almost exactly 8,000 km/5,000 miles).

I replaced the PCV valve on my Honda V6 well after 100,000 miles. The old one still rattled quite easily.

So you could buy a Honda. Or change the oil regularly (following the OLM, mine averages almost exactly 8,000 km/5,000 miles).
Generally, the oil is changed at 6 mos or 5,000 miles, usually at 6 mos which is somewhat less the 5K. A PCV valve is a lot less expensive than a Honda, but thanks for that thought-provoking idea.

Camry lol
There's another way to R&R the valve, and it's very similar to the method used on the BMW N52. It's easier but takes a little longer, and like the BMW, it's all done from the top. LOL

Back