Project Farm - Tests Pennzoil Motor Oil

Status
Not open for further replies.
BITOG Disclaimer: The Project Farm channel states that its videos are for entertainment purposes only. Project Farm does not perform ASTM tests, nor apply industry acknowledged methods and criteria, and therefore BITOG cannot endorse the results of tests of any lubricant or filter or similar product as seen on the Project Farm channel, and cautions readers giving credence to such entertainment information.

Project Farm tests four different Motor Oils from Pennzoil to see how the differ >>>>>>>

Were Gonna Test That

Last edited by a moderator:
As we say every time a bearing scar test meant for testing the EP properties of grease and gear oil have no efficacy for testing the lubricity of motor oil. I really wish he's stop with the test, too many dumb "car guys" watch him and don't understand his "for entertainment purposes only" disclaimer, I don't hate the guy, but his fan base takes his very flawed "reviews" too seriously and for people that have some clue on lubrication science it's very frustrating trying to undo the harm his videos are doing in the community.

Which of the oils would provide engine life beyond the ownership of the vehicle? Has anyone worn out an engine that was properly maintained?

Last edited:
Considering that both pp and pup cost the exact same $24.97 at Walmart Pennzoil needs to drop regular pp back down to $21.97 like back then.

So setting the bearing scar test aside.....I'm surprised the Platinum flowed SO poorly in the cold in both his cold tests. That's not okay.

The additive packages being so much lower in the Platinum than the two cheaper "conventional" Pennzoil samples....I'm wondering....Is this a case of the Platinum being "made from natural gas" needing less detergent additives because by its nature it does not need as much? Same for the lower "anti wear" package? Since neither of those lubricate, are you better off with less detergent and "anti wear" additives if the oil does not need them? Honestly asking, thinking out loud.

BTW, I have a 2007 Xterra with 261,000 miles on it, owned since new and it has had Pennzoil Platinum 5w30 every oil change since new with a Fram Ultra filter, both changed every 5,000 miles. Runs as new, starter replacement is only repair to drivetrain. At 244,000 miles I replaced the valve covers and was stunned at how clean/new the top end looked. I took a pic. I can't find the original, but I did find where I added a pic I found of an Xterra at 89,000 with poor oil change history and sent the pair to my daughter to get her to see why its important to change your oil. My engine is the one on the left.

Attachments

• 89000vsmineat244000.jpg
    89000vsmineat244000.jpg
    97.2 KB · Views: 371
Last edited:
As we say every time a bearing scar test meant for testing the EP properties of grease and gear oil have no efficacy for testing the lubricity of motor oil. I really wish he's stop with the test, too many dumb "car guys" watch him and don't understand his "for entertainment purposes only" disclaimer, I don't hate the guy, but his fan base takes his very flawed "reviews" too seriously and for people that have some clue on lubrication science it's very frustrating trying to undo the harm his videos are doing in the community.
This pretty much sums up my thoughts.

His "tests" for certain mech, home, etc items are often ingenious and frankly awesome. He must know his lube tests are just filler or worse, a lawyer feeding frenzy.

I currently have(in my stash)
1 - 5qt jug of Pennzoil Full Synthetic 0W20
1 - 5qt jug of Pennzoil Ultra Platinum 0W20

I will give the PUP a UOA and maybe(MAYBE) the PFS too but, it'll take some time for results.

I also have 5 qt jugs of CarQuest & SuperTech in my stash as well as some others from Castrol.

Yep. Engines have been hurt from people watching his videos. Many more likely will in the future as well, unfortunately.

This video is like testing which color of Prius can tow a camper easier. It's dumb and the results are meaningless and misleading. His testing is not relevant to engine oils.

Yep. Engines have been hurt from people watching his videos. Many more likely will in the future as well, unfortunately.

This video is like testing which color of Prius can tow a camper easier. It's dumb and the results are meaningless and misleading. His testing is not relevant to engine oils.
How have engines been hurt?

How have engines been hurt?

There's been a few cases of people running common API oils, with insufficient ZDDP content, in their older engines with aftermarket flat tappet cams instead of an oil like Amsoil Z-Rod or Valvoline VR1 which they ran prior. Their reasoning was that Project Farm "proved" that it wasn't necessary since an oil with more ZDDP didn't show a smaller wear scar. These engines wiped a cam lobe (or multiple lobes) within a couple hundred miles. Then they wanted to argue with their builder (one of which is me) that the assembly must've been wrong since PF proved that cheap oil would protect just as well. 🤦‍♂️

Naturally they get mad when warranty is denied and even madder when you tell them to take their engine to PF to have him rebuild it since they trust him more than their engine builders. Of course it's not PF's fault but the ID-10-Tango drawing their own false conclusion from his videos. PF does put a disclaimer at the very bottom of the description of his videos, the area you have click and expand to scroll through, stating the videos are for entertainment purposes only and liability lies with the viewer on how they interpret the testing. However, nobody reads the description jargon and take everything at face value and gospel without an ounce of deeper research or even 2nd opinions. To anybody not familiar with ASTM testing, the videos look like concrete data. I wish he'd put up disclaimer at the very beginning of the video similar to how TV shows display a "Do not attempt anything you are about to see at home." disclaimer. lol Something more visible.

BITOG Disclaimer: The Project Farm channel states that its videos are for entertainment purposes only. Project Farm does not perform ASTM tests, nor apply industry acknowledged methods and criteria, and therefore BITOG cannot endorse the results of tests of any lubricant or filter or similar product as seen on the Project Farm channel, and cautions readers giving credence to such entertainment information.
If he really believes that then why does he go through all the work producing these videos and call them tests?

If it’s true that these videos are the equivalent of a Britney Spears music video then why are you posting them in a technical forum?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back