Project Farm Tests CLP

I'd have liked to have seen him use a premium motor oil as a comparison. I use motor oil for my firearms cleaning and lubrication without any problems, and it's generally about 1/50th of the cost of these products.
ive tried motor oil as well but i did notice they gunk up a bit sooner especially in my 12g. But still very cheap to use. did use a quart of 5w-20.

Motor oil is a terrible cleaner and somewhat marginal as a gun lubricant. I mean it will work fine for most moving parts. And if I used it for guns that might be stored or not used frequently, I would make sure it was an oil with corrosion prevention additives.
Really?
Motor oil has detergents. In fact, I used nothing more than motor oil to clean the sticky gunk off an old brass can recently. The gunk came off remarkably well and easily and the brass can cleaned up very nicely, with just a little oil on a rag and some light rubbing. (No a genie did not come out, unfortunately).

Never been a fan of an 'all in one' CLP product. I know the military uses it, but that doesn't make it 'great'. They need the least amount of mass to carry around that will do an ok job in the field. So what if the rifle wears out early, they have tons of them.

I've always used a dedicated cleaner and motor oil for lube and none of my most shot firearms show any abnormal wear. Granted, I don't shoot anything that is particularly picky with its lube. My most used pistol I stopped counting at 20,000 rounds and I bought it in 97, wouldn't hesitate to pull it out of the safe right now if I needed it in a SHTF situation.

Really?
Motor oil has detergents. In fact, I used nothing more than motor oil to clean the sticky gunk off an old brass can recently. The gunk came off remarkably well and easily and the brass can cleaned up very nicely, with just a little oil on a rag and some light rubbing. (No a genie did not come out, unfortunately).
I suspect the sticky gunk on the brass can is a bit different than modern ammunition residue. Most likely WD-40 would have cleaned it well. Take the hard carbon on an AR bolt or BCG. Motor oil just won't touch it. Soak, heat, scrub......there are better cleaners. Maybe "terrible" was a poor word choice but the limited detergents in motor oil are designed for prevention of build up in a running ICE, not cleaning static residue.

Back to the video.................what is with him repeating "allow the lube to soak into the metal"? Ugh....hertz mah ears.......

One armed bandit for gun lube............I love PF guy, I watch and subscribe...........

Well anyway I DO agree. Ballistol is trash. FrogLube is yuck.

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
Clean with a cleaner

Lube with a lubricant.

Period.

My methods are simple:

1) Clean with appropriate cleaner for the gun and powder.
2) Rinse with the appropriate solvent (could even be boiling water, or WD-40, silicone spray or very light lubricant - hahhahaha)
3) Wipe and dry very well
4) Lubricate with the correct lube for the gun, weather, storage, transport, etc

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Last edited:
Back to the video.................what is with him repeating "allow the lube to soak into the metal"? Ugh....hertz mah ears.......

One armed bandit for gun lube............I love PF guy, I watch and subscribe...........
It seems as though once a YouTuber finds this device it somehow becomes the primary weapon in their "testing" arsenal. If only he could find a way to use it in testing pocket knives.

And the soaking into the metal thing is just another data point on his credibility.

It seems as though once a YouTuber finds this device it somehow becomes the primary weapon in their "testing" arsenal. If only he could find a way to use it in testing pocket knives.

And the soaking into the metal thing is just another data point on his credibility.
I did think his adhesive test was reasonable - glue the same material with various products and stack weights …
That was within his skills & knowledge base. However, he was exposed to lots of glue 😷

Using off shelf cleaners but motor oil for oiling, no CLPs here.
I too tested a few CLPs in my life but get much better cleaning with proper cleaners.

I use ATF or motor oil. Gear lube on the slides of a brand new 1911.

Back