Project car, synthetic oil?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi guys,

Have a question. I bought for real cheap a AE92 Corolla coupe SR5 from 1990 with a 4AFE engine and since at the time I don't have a track car decided this is it. Body is in good shape and is independent suspension. Engine is in good shape, pulls strong doesn't smoke or use oil. I replaced timing belt, water pump all seals ect. Engine has no oil leaks and looked very clean and golden when I opened the valve cover and crank case to replace seals. Seems previous owner changed oil regularly and gave it proper maintenance. Here is the tricky part, cars odometer is not working and it stopped at 200,985k since who knows when. I will be testing car at a local road course and was going to put some fresh oil and filter but since the mileage is so high I did know if I should switch to to syn. I have always used syn on my track cars but never has one with so much mileage. Feedback would be great

It is an old wives' tale that switching to synthetic will hurt anything.

You can definitely use it, but maybe consider trying one of the "high mileage" varieties.

It will work fine but might be an unnecessary expense. I'd put money into tires and brakes.

What did the previous owner use for oil?? If it was a full synthetic then it's OK to continue to use it, BUT if not I would check for oil leaks after using a full synthetic because they can dissolve varnish that is helping the seals and gaskets to work. If you do get a drip start on full synthetic just change to a major brand HM oil.
Which HM's are full synthetic as I thought they were just part conventionals?

Ok, great to hear I use PP for my other vehicle so I will do the same for this one.

@jefino I have already installed hawk pads brembo rotors konig wheels (9lbs each) and some michelin pilot 2 205/50/r15. I also have a 4-1 header and drive with a open exhaust around town. My mother has become very popular in town LOL

All the seals are new oem, I also dropped the tranny replaced clutch and also replaced the crank seal. I will keep a eye out for leaks

thanks

If all the gaskets are new then you shouldn't have any problems with weeping.
Alot of Harley evo engines will leak using syn so it's not a wives tale. Old gaskets and seals get cleaned a bit too good using syn and it will exploit an old gaskets failure. Something about the oil molecule itself being more consistent and a shorter chain whereas a conventional has more long chain molecules.
That's how it was explained to me,how accurate it is I don't know for certain,but it sounds plausible.

Originally Posted By: luisrivera

@jefino I have already installed hawk pads brembo rotors konig wheels (9lbs each) and some michelin pilot 2 205/50/r15. I also have a 4-1 header and drive with a open exhaust around town. My mother has become very popular in town LOL

Pics please.
laugh.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back