Profanity filters and BITOG rules

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just finished serving a one-week ban for profanity. Fine, that's life. I'm not interested in any of your opinions about the use of profanity - I'm 44, a good/moral/ethical person, do my part to make the world a better place, I have the mouth of a trucker and I'm not looking for a daddy figure to give me advice. It bothers some and it doesn't bother others and I'm fine with that but the truth is no one was actually subjected to profanity - just dots and asterisks. I'm also fine with site rules. I do think it's funny though that there are penalties when there is a site profanity filter in place. My infraction comes down to subjecting the BITOG community to, "... ***** .... *****eads .... **** ...". I wrote what I wrote knowing the profanity filter would take care of it.

Would it be fundamentally different had I typed in, "... ***** .... *****eads .... **** ..." by hand and not relied on the filter? The punishment seems silly given the circumstances. My 2 cents...

Just finished serving a one-week ban for profanity. Fine, that's life. I'm not interested in any of your opinions about the use of profanity - I'm 44, a good/moral/ethical person, do my part to make the world a better place, I have the mouth of a trucker and I'm not looking for a daddy figure to give me advice. It bothers some and it doesn't bother others and I'm fine with that but the truth is no one was actually subjected to profanity - just dots and asterisks. I'm also fine with site rules. I do think it's funny though that there are penalties when there is a site profanity filter in place. My infraction comes down to subjecting the BITOG community to, "... ***** .... *****eads .... **** ...". I wrote what I wrote knowing the profanity filter would take care of it.

Would it be fundamentally different had I typed in, "... ***** .... *****eads .... **** ..." by hand and not relied on the filter? The punishment seems silly given the circumstances. My 2 cents...
What's interesting is that you're posing the question here, when you should be having the conversation with the mod team.

The opinion of other members quite simply doesn't matter.

What's interesting is that you're posing the question here, when you should be having the conversation with the mod team.

The opinion of other members quite simply doesn't matter.
Mods can read my 2 cents here too. The rules are the rules - fine but I think it's an interesting philosophical question for discussion. Is it really breaking the rules if an automated nanny intervenes and doesn't actually allow you to break the rules? I suppose there could be an argument made that intent to break rules is sufficient? But what if that intent was based on knowing you can't actually break the rules?

Maybe it's as simple as people don't want to read dots and asterisks...

Just because the automated word filter catches the word, that does not excuse you from it's use.

Since you seem to be OK with airing your dirty laundry in public, I'll note that you failed to mention that you have three separate warnings for the very same violation, all within a year. I believe BITOG has exhibited a fair amount of tolerance in trying to work with you on this, but you don't seem to be making an effort to understand your transgressions and correct your behavior. Upon your third violation, you were banned for a week.

Don't push your luck.

Last edited:
Directly from the Standard of Conduct regarding profanity ...

Use the preview tool on all posts before posting. If a word is marked censored then that word is not allowed. If you have to fool the censor using alternate spellings and/or special characters, you should not be using that word in the first place. Acronyms which embed illicit words within the abreviation are viewed as no different than spelling out those words and are therefore also prohibited. The ever-changing and evolving electronic world in which we live makes it difficult to have the "censor" catch all words and acronyms. The bottom line is that you will be held accountable for any and all things you post.

READ THE FIRST TWO SENTENCES OF THE ABOVE. (underlined and emboldened for your attention)

NOTE: At the time of this post, the above "rule" existed as displayed here. The SoC has since been updated with a different format, but the content and context is still expressed within. / dnewton3

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back