Problems with Nissan 4-cylinder?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Anyone have or know of any recurring problems with the Nissan 2.4L KA24DE engine? Just got one and want to know as much about it as possible, and how best to care for it. It's in a Frontier XE 2WD King Cab with AT. Plan to run full syn for long oci and lots of highway miles. Any major problems or things to look out for? Do's and don'ts? All suggestions welcome!

I have the single cam version of this engine in my 1994 Nissan truck, and from my experience, it's one of the more "bulletproof" 4 cylinder engines out there.

If you haven't already, I'd suggest visiting the forums at 4x4 parts.com. I visit there quite frequently, and have found them to be one of the best forums out there for us Nissan truck owners. Lots of good information to be found there.
cheers.gif

Google Nissan message boards. NissanForums.com is a good one. I have a 92 and a 96 D21 with the 2.4. Love them. PCV and starters are difficult to replace for the DIY'er but can be done. Strongly recommend a transmission cooler and more frequent tranny services than the manual requires. Otherwise regular maintenence will usually give great service. ARX and LC20 has gotten rid of the typical start up rattle. Hardly ever see one on used car lots or the want ads but often see them in truck towing truck 'convoys' heading for Mexico on I-10 around here. Hmmm... Tells you something, I guess.

quote:

Originally posted by Christopher Hussey:
I believe the singe cam version was known for broken timing chain guides.

The earlier model years (89-94) of this engine could develop this problem, but I've been lucky so far with mine as it's not happened, and I have 140K miles on it currently.

The later single cam engines (95-97) had the guides redesigned so that this problem doesn't occur, and these guides will also retrofit all of the earlier models as well.

Still, it's a very stout engine design, and one I would not hesitate to recommend.

quote:

Originally posted by Pontius Pilate:
could have been abused, she got it at 100k

That would be my guess as well. With proper care and feeding, these things have been known to go 300K+ miles without needing to be opened up.

I had a 97 with the sohc version with 150k and it was great until I totaled it.
The key to making the timing components last is frequent oil changes or if you want to extend them go with a good syn.
It was feed M1 5w30 most of its life with the 1st 20k miles being amsoil s2k.
You dont have to worry about any timing guide problems with the dohc in your frontier.

I also have a 93 with the sohc that just turned 100k and a 04 with your engine with 31k.
No problems with my dohc yet but I dont expect any with 31k.

My timeing chain and rails went on my nisson 4x4,1994 also had trouble with egr valve what a pain to get at ,other than that is ok at 100k,BL

This is the dohc version so sounds like the timing chain shouldn't be an issue. Does "LC20" mean "Lube Control"? I've seen it mentioned regularly on these forums but not sure what it is, or if I need it if running M1 full syn. Also don't know what ARX is...or if I need it running good full syn? Also not sure what a tranny cooler is...forgive my ignorance...or how much they cost, how to use, etc.

Plan on a 7500 oci and doing my own changes. Our Wal-Mart has M1 5W-30 for around $20 for 5 quart jugs...I think I can live with that for what I think will be great protection.

As for start up noise/rattles, it sounds smooth as silk to me...quiet as a mouse.

On thing driving me crazy though. It's got a "Cargo Light" switch on the lower-left side of the dash, but it does NOT do anything that I can see. I've read through the manual about four times and it does not mention this switch anywhere. Changed a fuse that was out and still nothing. I know it's minor but....ARGHHHHHH!

Also neglected to mention this is an '02 Frontier with about 33K miles on it at present.

Thanks for the feedback and the leads on the other forums, too!

I've got the 2000 Nissan 2.4L in KingCab also, but with a manual. 55k miles, original owner, no major problems. Mileage typically 23-29, depending on driving conditions, time of year. I never had any startup rattle, but use lc20. Chevron 10w30 and Purolator PP filters. I did noticed when I swapped out the lube in the rear, that the level was low, and lots of fuzz on the magnetic plug. After the fill, it was noticeably less buzzy.

my mom has that engine in her 240sx... shes had oil leaks, supposedly fixed by a shop for $800, then misfire issues (was running on 3 cylinders), also supposedly fixed... it's a strong engine with nice power, but from my experience it can cause trouble... her CEL stays on then goes off then comes on, but is mostly on, shop says it's something to do with fuel injector o-rings, want $400 to fix that... she wants to give me the car but i dunno, seems like a lot of trouble... could have been abused, she got it at 100k and it has 130k now (had it 5 years) and she gets the oil changed regularly and all.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back