Problem with Napa Gold(Mann Hummel) 7356? Pictures

This is off my 2012 V6 Honda Accord. Filter has 5,000 miles on it using Mobil 1 0w20. I always use Napa Gold oil filters. This is the first time I have noticed a warped looking black rubber O-ring inside. Never saw this on the WIX version. What is this and is it a problem? Pictures from both sides:
C5bTqUq.jpg

MWw6EQK.jpg

As noted, that is the gasket portion of an Wix/NapaGold thread end bypass piece. More than likely, just a bit extra of the gasket extended outside the inner portion more on one side. In my experience with the 7356, the "warp" as you refer to it, or wave(s) in the visible rubber gasket is not uncommon to see on the piece. I've used many 7356 in past, seen it (gasket wave), and it's never been an issue in use.

As with many topics, this one has been discussed before and bypass gasket wave can be seen in link with pic.

Last edited:
It is not the WIX made Napa Gold but the Mann Hummel made version....

it's clearly a Wix, given the baseplate design and the coil spring bypass. There are many examples of these on BITOG, including this one. If it was a Purolator, it would look like this.

What is the date code on top of yours? :unsure:

While Mann has owned Wix for awhile, they only recently started switching some Wixes to the inferior Purolator design.

it's clearly a Wix, given the baseplate design and the coil spring bypass. There are many examples of these on BITOG, including this one.

What is the date code on top of yours? :unsure:

While Mann has owned Wix for awhile, they only recently started switching some Wixes to the inferior Purolator design.
Look at the 1st picture it says Mann Hummel upside down just below the gasket. All my Napa Gold oil filters have been Mann Hummel for about 2 years now. I kept my last Wix marked filters to compare.

Look at the 1st picture it says Mann Hummel upside down just below the gasket. All my Napa Gold oil filters have been Mann Hummel for about 2 years now. I kept my last Wix marked filters to compare.

That is because Mann owns Wix, but they didn't change the design immediately after taking them over. Even though Mann bought out Wix, they initially kept using the same Wix design, same coil spring bypass, same baseplates, etc.

The consolidation to the Purtolator design happened more recently, mostly during the pandemic.

Compare the filter this thread is about to the Wix-marked filters you have. They will be the same.

It's what's inside that counts, and that's why you should cut them open ;)

That is because Mann owns Wix, but they didn't change the design immediately after taking them over. Even though Mann bought out Wix, they initially kept using the same Wix design, same coil spring bypass, same baseplates, etc.

The consolidation to the Purtolator design happened more recently, mostly during the pandemic.

Compare the filter this thread is about to the Wix-marked filters you have. They will be the same.

It's what's inside that counts, and that's why you should cut them open ;)
ok gotch ya! I'll cut them open and post my findings.....just need a day off to do it.

It is not the WIX made Napa Gold but the Mann Hummel made version....
Wix labeled, Napa Gold same filters. For some time now Wix labled filters have also put the Mann Hummel name on the label. What you have though is an Original OG Wix/Napa Gold oil filter with the traditional Wix thread end bypass piece. While these are likely to go to dome bypass and be more like Purolator in furture, irrelevant here because that's not what you have.

The Wix plant in Gastonia NC does have the Mann&Hummel name on a plant sign, it also retains the Wix sign too. I know this because I've driven by the plant several times on the way to and from the ATL.

Edit: Just read the comment where you said "I'll cut them open and post my findings". I hope for the topic filter at least, and any other with thread end bypass, that will be after you use them. Otherwise imo, a waste of a perfectly good oil filter. Linked is the last Napa Gold 7356 I ran and did a c&p. No reason to think topic filter would be different.

Last edited:
Back