Problem with modern Kerosene

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ok, so I still have some nice old skool round kerosene heaters that are 23,000 btu. I also have 4 gallons of old vintage 2004 era clear 1K Kerosene I got at a gas station. I forgot which station but it was local. It is clear, and depending on the light will have a yellow tint to it. It smells very clean, and smells to me like genuine kerosene how I always remembered it.

Now fast forward to the day before Christmas 2020. We were going to get a nasty snow storm so I got some fresh from the pump Sheetz clear kerosene. It smells very nasty like Naptha based, and has a lot of fumes. When I poured it into the heater, my super clean, no smoke, no smell heater, now smells like unburned diesel exhaust while it is in use. I replaced the wick and it did not solve the horrible smell. I let the wick dry overnight and washed it in the old vintage 2004 era kerosene and dumped and refilled the tank and the problem is solved. Heater smells perfect.

How do I find Kerosense like back in the old days? These heaters are excellent for extended power outages as they can sit for decades and always be reliable.

Does anyone know what they did to the formula that makes it so nasty?

Yeah, I think you got a bad batch. I use kerosene and haven't had a problem. The only problem here is that only one station has kerosene.

Lowes use to sells fuel made specifically for those heaters that is more expensive but smells even less that the good kerosene. But it has been a few years since I was in that isle, I am not even sure they still carry it.

I'm curious as to the price you paid at Sheetz I just bought a 5-gallon can of K1 from Tractor Supply for around $34.00.
It's hard to find in Colorado other than Farm or big-box stores. Haven't seen it at any gas stations.

Those things have been illegal for household use forever. A classmate of mine lost 2 sisters in a fire caused by one of those things tipping over, over 50 yrs ago. You're better off putting on more clothes.

Those things have been illegal for household use forever. A classmate of mine lost 2 sisters in a fire caused by one of those things tipping over, over 50 yrs ago. You're better off putting on more clothes.

No doubt they can be dangerous. When used with proper precautions followed, and safety in mind, they are very stable and very unlikely to cause issues, especially in a temporary situation.

The reason I keep them around is the fumes from the Kerosene will often alert you well before you succomb to carbon monoxide poisening, and are incapacitated. A propane, or natural gas unit that is considered safer operationally, i feel is more dangerous, as the fumes are near odorless, and by the time you realize you are starting to feel ill from the effects of CO poisioning, you will be incapacitated.

Carbon monoxide is more dangerous than the fire hazard any temporary heater may pose. Kerosene is very stable unlike propane for example.

Dont know for your location....

But over here......we have 2 different kerosenes.

One for (indoor)heating.....and another one for lamps.....lawnmovers(OPE) etc.....the one intended to be "consumed" indoor doesnt smell at all!

It's more than likely the fuel has sat around a while. Sounds crazy as it should go "bad" but... I've purchased kero at the Sheetz in town here, but it's a very rural town and more people use it to heat their homes (those round heaters) and didn't have an issue. That was a couple years ago though. However I plan on buying one of those 80K heaters so I guess I'll find out. We have another convenience chain around here, Rutters, that has top tier fuel and also sells kerosene by the gallon at a pump, both places near me are in a rural setting. Haven't heard anything bad about them.

The Sheetz stations near me always had a bad rep for kerosene years back. I don't believe that any of them still sell it. The Hess stations always had K1 kerosene. When ownership went to Speedway, problems began. I got some water contaminated K1 from one of them. I have an outdoor heating oil tank, so I always dump about 15-20 gal. of kerosene along with a biocide and anti-gel to the tank. I also keep a 5 gal. can of K1 on hand for emergency use of an old kero heater. I now buy it at a heating oil dealer.

Although you don't often hear it called that anymore, No. 1 heating oil is actually a higher Sulphur kerosene. As opposed to K1 clear kerosene. Perhaps the Sheetz supplier filled with that instead of K1. In Pa. the ultra-low sulfur version of No. 2 heating oil is not required for home heating. What the heating oil guys are actually supplying is the ULS diesel, although you will not get them to admit or deny that. I'm on the third pump on my oil-fired boiler in the past 7 years. Lubricity is terrible.

Erie, PA huh? Any Amish or Mennonites around? Find out where they get theirs. It will probably be the best stuff for the best price.

I’d buy my fuel and I do at Kwik Fuel. Sheetz has been garbage even when I was a kid
Just the kerosene/ or other fuels?

I used to have a kerosene heater. The problem was you never knew how old it was at some stations, it could be really old.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back