Problem with GC

Status
Not open for further replies.
My Nissan Maxima has a very shiny metal dipstick. With clean oil, it is very difficult to tell where the oil level is. I usually use the method posted above using the paper towel soaking up the oil to determine the level. I have been tempted to cut very small "notches" with a dremel in the side at the low and full marks. I had a previous car with these notches on the dipstick, and they were very handy. These "nothces" are approximately the width of a dremel cutting wheel, and maybe 1/16" deep. Just enough for oil to cling in if the level is to them. Only drawback is you have to be careful when wiping a paper towel on the dipstick as the notches will tear the paper towel, and you could inadvertently reinsert the dipstick with this little piece on it.

Another option would be very small (1/16 or smaller) holes drilled in the center of the dipstick at the appropriate levels.

Dave

Terry, I though us old folks stuck together. Keep this up and I'll keep forgetting to send you those Q-4 pictures.

And one other point I failed to make. In the processing of inserting or removing the dip stick, oil get on the stick, above the 'full' mark and adds to the trouble. If this oil wasn't so darn sticky, it would sure be less of a problem.

I just had to drain a bit of oil to make room for another dose of LC-20 so I played with the idea of allowing the dip-stick tube to drain down. I waited 15 minuets, partially inserted the stick and drew it out again. There was still oil all over the stick. I used the stick to try to clear the oil in the tube and after about 6 or 7 "Dry Runs" it seemed better. I was able to see the level much better.

6K into this run and I now have enough color to see the oil.

Give it a try Larry and see if it helps you out too.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back