Probably the wrong forum: Oil suggestion for hair clippers?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Background: I bought a set of Wahl clippers for sheering my sheep dog three or four times a year, because my last groomer cut her during her last hair cut. The clippers did great, at first, and after a while when they stopped cutting as efficiently, I began lubricating the blades. I probably lubricated the blades five times during the cut (it took me about four hours to get her all the way trimmed, given her newfound hatred for the sound of clippers thanks to the aforementioned groomer). I can tell the supplied oil is going to run out quickly.

Question: should I use the Wahl-branded oil, or is there a better option given what I'm sheering? The breed of dog is Cavapoo (Cavalier King Charles Spaniel / Poodle hybrid), so her hair is quite fine, but mats extremely easily.

Also: apologies in advance if this is the wrong forum for this. I couldn't find a place that seemed to fit better.

Screenshot_20210414-201211.jpg

Background: I bought a set of Wahl clippers for sheering my sheep dog three or four times a year, because my last groomer cut her during her last hair cut. The clippers did great, at first, and after a while when they stopped cutting as efficiently, I began lubricating the blades. I probably lubricated the blades five times during the cut (it took me about four hours to get her all the way trimmed, given her newfound hatred for the sound of clippers thanks to the aforementioned groomer). I can tell the supplied oil is going to run out quickly.

Question: should I use the Wahl-branded oil, or is there a better option given what I'm sheering? The breed of dog is Cavapoo (Cavalier King Charles Spaniel / Poodle hybrid), so her hair is quite fine, but mats extremely easily.

Also: apologies in advance if this is the wrong forum for this. I couldn't find a place that seemed to fit better.
I use a Wahl spray …
Have to ask my wife about that dog breed … we have both of those dogs …

Well I don’t really have input on oil type. But I must say I learned you need to oil these blades lol. My dad has a Wahl trimmer and he doesn’t oil it. And I don’t use electric stuff so I don’t know about it either.

I've always used Norton sharpening oil, mainly because I have it lying around, but it makes cutting my beard down from Gandalf length super easy with minimal binding. In reality anything made of mineral oil will work just fine. It's pretty normal to go through lots of oil especially if you want a painless quick cut with thick hair/fur so just go for whatever is cheap and use liberally.

I'd think something like 3in1 or a light weight gun oil would be fine. I use 3in1 oil on my guns since it's mainly only used to prevent rust issues.

Baby oil straight mineral oil Whal clipper oil.

Mine's been alive for 20 years with just 4 drops of baby oil after each use and brushing away stray hair. Apply oil as clipper runs to let it work in. Absorb excess with tissue paper and store.

Periodically remove the base and blade. Strop them on a glass table or good, known flat surface with more oil and 1000grit wet/dry 3M sand paper.

Reassemble and test run, adjust as needed to eliminate any clicks or chatter.

Profit!

Anything will work. I stole the wife's Singer sewing machine oil and that worked fine until she stole it back. Now I just use the dregs from a spray bottle of Rem-Oil.

My Wahl clippers get the same oil as my engines. As noted, anything will work.

But you need the higher flashpoint and HTHS of a motor oil to keep your dog shearing efficient and avoid catastrophic failure. :ROFLMAO:

Yup, the Wahl clipper oil is simply scentless, plain Jane mineral oil. Spend as you like, but compare availability and price of Wahl branded goop against baby oil (do children really need a break in oil? ;> ) or any old plain clear mineral oil. All will do just the same.

As to an above post on special sprays:

These are used typically as a lubricant and a coolant for clippers used in a more commercial environment. They also include an anti-bacterial agent. Known as "cooling spray", one typically does not warrant such use of this spray outside of personal, at home use. But a barber shop that sees dozens of customers a day with little to no cool down on the sheep shears will employ such a spray.

Baby lube, a soft bristle brush for cleaning and a flat, lapping rub on oiled 3m 1k grit wet-or-dry on the flattest sides of the guard and blade periodically will keep you sharing like a pro.

Ask me how to strop and sharpen Norelco rotary blades. The answer is astounding!

I have been using a few drops of olive oil for my trimmer for a while now with no problems. I've heard it's also good for the hair.

Coconut oil would be my second choice, but it might tend to solidify in our house during the cooler months.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back