Pro-Tec 130

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm assuming by the construction that they are made by wix. I plan on using this filter on a lawn mower so only maybe three months of use. Rock auto has a master pack for $24 shipped, just wondering if it's worth it

7A1A4B48-8735-450C-BFDC-884B743FFCA9.png

CCD511AA-32AC-4EA3-9FE9-4CE1E1F19B7B.png

Latest anecdote posted this subforum shows made by Puro, not Wix. However seeing as RA source, no telling. That said, seeing as 3 months max on a lawn mower, can't see where it would make much difference.

I didn't/don't see 51348 alone as that a Wix labeled filter, not a Protec name with suffix 130 as shown. If you're confident it's Wix made and that's what you want for it, go for it. Based on the ProTec information posted combined with my previous post information I would not assume that as automatic. Good Luck.

Edit Here's is topic PT130 showing the Puro construction as noted in my initial post.

https://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php/topics/4885742/pro-tec-ptl-51348-130-cut-open

Last edited:
That's a lot of oil filters for a mower. One Ulta or even a $3 ST could be left on for 5 years. I bet it still looks clean after that.

Would they be worth ordering for my families Honda's? They all basically own Honda's and it would be much cheaper to maintain the "fleet". Unless these are horrible filters

Last edited:
Originally Posted by Bettez88
Would they be worth ordering for my families Honda's? They all basically own Honda's and it would be much cheaper to maintain the "fleet". Unless these are horrible filters

Due to the OCD nature of this website and seeing numerous posts from oil filter cut and posts, I'm a believer of getting the best filter possible for your vehicles (unless you really don't care).

For that reason I'm running Fram Ultra's. I'm keeping them on for multiple oil changes. On my 97 Civic I'm going to run it for 18 months (it will be removed in May of 2020). Car is my wife's DD and it only sees 6000 miles a year on it.

Either that or I've also seen, the filter means less that what oil you use and how often you change it.

Originally Posted by Farnsworth
That's a lot of oil filters for a mower. One Ulta or even a $3 ST could be left on for 5 years. I bet it still looks clean after that.

If its for a Toro maybe worth buying a case. If for a MTD manufactured machine 1 or 2 will do. Not going to last that long.

The pattern with these jobber grade filters seems to be a thinner and weaker media. Great if you own a quick lube shop. Great if you don't keep a vehicle very long. The consequences of increased engine wear will fall on someone else at a later time. They may work great, or they may tear before the end of the OCI. It's a gamble, and you won't know if they are working unless you cut them open.

Otherwise, if you plan on keeping the vehicle a long time, a few dollars more every year is cheap insurance. Wix or Hastings filters are $3 to $5 from Rock Auto and both use quality filter media.

Using them on my John Deere mower and whoever else has one in my family. I'll sacrifice one if they're wix made but if they're Purolator I believe I'll return them. Should work just fine for a mower

Isn't the case of Wix filter's only a couple cents higher? Iij would get the wix of pronto especially just a couple cents more.

I saw that after the fact and they're being delivered today. So I'll make my decision later when I see them

They're definitely seem to be made by wix from the baseplate. But the bypass is at the top of the filter, not the bottom.
[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Looks like a Wix made ProTec recieved. As noted in my initial, coming from RA depending on how long stored in a warehouse, never know what one will receive. Like Forrest with his box of chocolates. As for bypass location, this being lowest tier jobber filter, generally dome bypass will be found on them. Unsirprising and preferable imo to combo valve used on some NPS and Auto Extra. That said, agreeing with member Black Thunder here, 3 months on a lawn mower in the OP, even had been Puro made, still ok.

I'm happy with my purchase. Seems to be stamped with 2019 as the manufacturing date too. Looks like I got lucky a these will work out fine on my lawn mower, like taryl says, "it's a lawn mower, not the space station!"

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back