Private jets of celebrities and their cost.

I'm guessing the majority of these owners bought them as a ego thing compared to flying first class on scheduled flights even 5 days a week.

I would want a 757.

Legs to get anywhere. Takeoff and landing performance for short runways and high altitude airports. Room for luxury. Plus, I’m already type rated and have several thousand hours in it, so insurance should be doable.

An old United 757-200 with P&W isn’t expensive to buy, it’s keeping it that gets expensive…

While preaching to the proletariat that they must cut down on carbon emissions. Hypocrites all. I especially love it when the come to northern Alberta and spew venom against heavy oil. Guess what keeps that plane in the air?
During the last recession, John Paul Dejoria made no apologies for having his private jet. He said something to the effect of having to be in 5 in-person meetings in 5 states on the same day.

Also a lot of the NASCAR people use theirs for charity when they are not using them.

I'm guessing the majority of these owners bought them as a ego thing compared to flying first class on scheduled flights even 5 days a week.
Some people can absolutely justify the expense. A guy on the local airport near me has from what I can tell an older Cessna biz jet. According to him he would spend a week traveling to get to all of the lighting stores that he owns.

Bizjets are great productivity tools when used properly....and not abused. When I did the analysis supporting our first purchase, I took out top 20 customers and then talked to Sales and mapped the customers or potential customers who we wanted to be our top customers and overlayed that map with airline routes. Essentially, almost anywhere that required a connection was a day killer and utilizing the jet and local airports we could double our Sr Exec's customer facing time on certain days. Started w/ a Hawker 125-800, loved the cafe racer yokes.

Flying 1st-class still involves layovers, missed connections, etc. They have the money and yeah, it's a luxury, but if they can afford it....

I suspect some, or many, of them lease their jets out when they're not using them. Not sure if they make a lot of money doing that but it would definitely help pay for the maintenance costs.

While preaching to the proletariat that they must cut down on carbon emissions. Hypocrites all. I especially love it when the come to northern Alberta and spew venom against heavy oil. Guess what keeps that plane in the air?
Tar sands operations are the worlds largest environmental clean up , take land where nothing but scrub grows and remove yucky stuff and voila clean dirt that supports trees.

Flying 1st-class still involves layovers, missed connections, etc. They have the money and yeah, it's a luxury, but if they can afford it....

I suspect some, or many, of them lease their jets out when they're not using them. Not sure if they make a lot of money doing that but it would definitely help pay for the maintenance costs.
There are corporate jets that transport kids with rare conditions to special hospitals for free.

While preaching to the proletariat that they must cut down on carbon emissions. Hypocrites all.
Years ago, I saw a show on TV that showed a former politician (not using his name. That would get political) giving a speech on climate warming to a bunch of $10K/plate lemmings here in the US. It was a warm day and during the whole time he was speaking, his limo was idling outside. He couldn't get into a warm limo. He needed it idling so he could get into a cool limo.
After his speech, he got on his limo where they took him to his private jet and flew to another continent to give more climate speeches.

I would want a 757.

Legs to get anywhere. Takeoff and landing performance for short runways and high altitude airports. Room for luxury. Plus, I’m already type rated and have several thousand hours in it, so insurance should be doable.

An old United 757-200 with P&W isn’t expensive to buy, it’s keeping it that gets expensive…
We considered a BBJ or Airbus corporate jet. There is no question about the robust and reliable nature of a converted airliner, not to mention the extreme comfort. However, it introduces difficulties with favorite destinations. We operate a Gulfstream G600, specifically because it is under 100,000 pounds and has a 93 foot wingspan. Yet still has 6600+ NM (about 7500 statute miles) range.

100K Lbs and 95 foot wingspan are published limits at many small airports.

Want to fly into Aspen with your G650? Nope. At least, not until the airport is changed to accommodate larger planes. For now, the G600 is the one to have.

Not all bizjets are fast and fly high and go far. But the Gulfstream G500/600 and G650 are epic machines. We typically cruise at M 0.91 and FL470. Standard climb is M 0.87.

5YFuEmM.jpg

Last edited:
Some people can absolutely justify the expense. A guy on the local airport near me has from what I can tell an older Cessna biz jet. According to him he would spend a week traveling to get to all of the lighting stores that he owns.
I have no problem with a guy like him (the lighting store chain owner)....it increases his productivity.
I have a huge problem with the hypocrites who fly to Davos on their private jets, go to their luxurious hotels in gas guzzling vehicles alone, have steak, lobster and shrimp dinners while discussing and planning that the rest of us eat insects.

I would want a 757.

I worked at an airport in college as a fueler. We had a charter airline bring a 757 in, empty and low on fuel. My buddies and I asked the tower to request the pilot do a max performance landing and we took bets on which runway exit would be the one he could make. We were all wrong. That thing stopped way short of even the most optimistic prediction. I don't remember the distance, but it blew us away. The pilots were happy to have shocked us with what it could do.

I always thought the 757 was sleek looking, with its narrow, long fuselage and large diameter engines. The windscreen has a nice size and shape to it, too. Beautiful airplane!

Years ago, I saw a show on TV that showed a former politician (not using his name. That would get political) giving a speech on climate warming to a bunch of $10K/plate lemmings here in the US. It was a warm day and during the whole time he was speaking, his limo was idling outside. He couldn't get into a warm limo. He needed it idling so he could get into a cool limo.
After his speech, he got on his limo where they took him to his private jet and flew to another continent to give more climate speeches.
What a gory tale. ;)

If I had the $$$ for a private jet I with out a second thought would have one.

Back