Prius tires

Status
Not open for further replies.
I was looking for new tires for my wife's Prius. Was thinking about getting coopers. The tire guy said they only make the c/s3 in her tire size. Does anyone have any experience with this tire or any suggestions. We do get snow her in north jersey so winter performance is a must.
Yes winter performance from a Prius

What yr Prius? Gen 2 or Gen 3?

Low Rolling Resistance is a must for the Prius, or else you will see a serious decline in fuel economy.

I've out many different sets on mine, and the fuel economy difference can be as much as 5mpg.

I put Michelin Defender XTs on my parent's 2nd gen Prius. It doesn't handle as well as the Primacy MXV4s we put on after the OEM Goodyears were gone nor does it have the same LRR characteristics as the Primacys or Ecopias but it seems to do the trick.

If winter performance is a must I suggest getting dedicated winter tires. You split the mileage over two sets of tires do it doesn't end up costing you that much more.

185/65/15, correct? There are plenty of decent options listed in that size on Tire Rack. You could probably go to a 195/60/15, but I'm not certain.

In stock size I'd look at the General Altimax RT43. Not LRR, but has decent winter marks.

Unfortunately she is unemployed at this time and I can't justify buying more than 4 tires at this time. I want a good a/s tire. Sorry to be so picky

If she's unemployed she doesn't need to be out in the snow.

Any good A/S will do you. I've seen generic, assuredly high rolling resistance replacement tires on Enterprise-owned Prii.

195/60/15 is one of the most common sizes on earth, and 185/65 isn't too shy either. There might be a yoko avid something-or-other, or follow the rebates section here for something from DTD.

Even though she's unemployed she still has a responsibilities and may need to leave the house despite some inclement weather

Continental ProContact EcoPlus. only tire rated by CR under A/S tires that is Very Good for Snow Traction and very good on tread life and rolling resistance. It's ranked #2 right under Michelin Defender;s. The Cooper CS4 Touring is the next tire to be rated very good for snow but has lower ratings for other aspects.

Being a prius I'd recommend either Michelin Energy Saver A/S or Goodyear Assurance Fuel Max. if you're going to do Cooper I wouldn't do the cs4 as it's being replaced by the newer cs5 or the cs3 which both have rebates and are made in 1856515. does anyone know what happened to the Cooper GFE which was Coopers LLR tire? was it discontinued when the cs3 came out?

Originally Posted By: eljefino

That was the ugliest comment that I've read in a long time.

Did it ever occur to you that she might be unemployed to take care of elderly parents? Or to take care of a child with an incurable disease? Or that she might be fighting cancer herself?

Stop and think next time.

The CS3 is an OK tire and US-made.

The CS5 does indeed come in your size. 185/65-15, right?

If you're willing to order online, there's the Vredestein Quatrac 3 "all weather tire" like the Nokian WRG3 but costs less. Basically a winter tire that can be used year-round. Made in Holland.

The General Altimax RT43 is quite popular and would work well for your intended use.

Goodyear's Assurance Fuel Max might also be a good option, good in snow and good on gas.

I've always liked Dunlop tires, and their Signature II should serve you well.

The Kumho Ecsta LX Platinum is a good combination of performance and treadlife and probably good in the winter.

Originally Posted By: mrsilv04

That was the ugliest comment that I've read in a long time.

Did it ever occur to you that she might be unemployed to take care of elderly parents? Or to take care of a child with an incurable disease? Or that she might be fighting cancer herself?

Stop and think next time.

OP said he wanted all seasons, I was (or thought I was) agreeing with him. Sorry if it came out wrong.

This is like every other tire thread, looking for a tire with low rolling resistance that's great in the snow, oh and cheap and long lasting too.
wink.gif

Just trying to prod OP into listing priorities in descending order.

Originally Posted By: nthach
I put Michelin Defender XTs on my parent's 2nd gen Prius. It doesn't handle as well as the Primacy MXV4s we put on after the OEM Goodyears were gone nor does it have the same LRR characteristics as the Primacys or Ecopias but it seems to do the trick.

My buddy has an '09 Prius. After the OE Integrity's wore out, he installed Primacy MXV4's(but, they're being replaced by the Premier A/S). He does like the MXV4's extra level of "handling" and snow traction compared to the Integ's but, the MPG decreased some. He is a very conservative driver so, "handling" means, turning the steering wheel
smile.gif
But, he does notice the difference.

He is also unsure of what he'll run next!

Any good A/S will do you. I've seen generic, assuredly high rolling resistance replacement tires on Enterprise-owned Prii.

Enterprise don't pay for their own fuel (unless the renter buy the tank), and they'd likely value stopping distance over fuel economy, no?

Originally Posted By: PandaBear

Enterprise don't pay for their own fuel (unless the renter buy the tank), and they'd likely value stopping distance over fuel economy, no?

No - they probably want to spend as little on tires as possible. They'll let the factory tires get run down, and then finally replace them with whatever they can get cheap. It wouldn't surprise me if they could secure a deal for OEM tires at prices similar to what the carmakers are paying.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back