Priming the oil filter on a 6.7 Cummins and then screwing it on..

Mine reads actual oil pressure, now if its accurate that may be a different story?

FWIW, I'm betting your truck does not read the actual oil pressure. It uses an algorithm from the ECU to tell the gauge what to say, it does not reflect the actual oil pressure.

Just my $0.02

FWIW, I'm betting your truck does not read the actual oil pressure. It uses an algorithm from the ECU to tell the gauge what to say, it does not reflect the actual oil pressure.

Just my $0.02
Back when I kept up with this truck the guys that have real pressure gauges that they hooked into the filter head, show about 20psi idling when hot. The dash shows like 40psi. Dodge put a dummy guage in because there was such a big swing in pressure and they got a lot of complaints even though it was perfectly normal.

Just my $0.02
I believe you are correct, my Ram shows an " oil pressure" reading on the dash, but when I use my diagnostic scanner on the truck it only reads oil pressure switch open or closed..

Back when I kept up with this truck the guys that have real pressure gauges that they hooked into the filter head, show about 20psi idling when hot. The dash shows like 40psi. Dodge put a dummy guage in because there was such a big swing in pressure and they got a lot of complaints even though it was perfectly normal.
its a shame they dont use a gage like the older Fords had... it just had a normal range. all over the place was normal...
LOL....

people unfamiliar with the newer Ram trucks really shouldn't comment.... yeah, the older models you could get at the filter from below and from the top without much effort.. the newer models have a frame crossmember so that rules out the underneath method and unless you feel like removing the intake pipe, you aren't doing it from the top either.. so you go thru the fenderwell... it is worth saying you can add about 14 ounces of oil to the filter and the filter will absorb it, you really wont spill any while snaking it into the correct area while it is on its side going thru the cutout in the fenderwell

people unfamiliar with the newer Ram trucks really shouldn't comment.... yeah, the older models you could get at the filter from below and from the top without much effort.. the newer models have a frame crossmember so that rules out the underneath method and unless you feel like removing the intake pipe, you aren't doing it from the top either.. so you go thru the fenderwell... it is worth saying you can add about 14 ounces of oil to the filter and the filter will absorb it, you really wont spill any while snaking it into the correct area while it is on its side going thru the cutout in the fenderwell
I fill the filter 3/4 full use filter plug turn it upside down if you want it won’t spill a drop.

Are you serious? so it's a big ordeal like the fuel filter on the older trucks? Although I've never timed it but I can have the fender well out in about 5 minutes, but I do say a few 4 letter words along the way.

I found an old picture to show the access in the wheel well. This about sums it up. Oh even better, while unrelated to this topic, it sums up Canadian ownership to a T.

Attachments

• download.jpeg.jpg
    download.jpeg.jpg
    166.4 KB · Views: 35
  • download.jpeg-1.jpg
    download.jpeg-1.jpg
    136 KB · Views: 36
Funny to hear the comments about it not being hard…. I wonder how many have actually replaced the filter on a 5.9 or 6.7 Cummins.

I get OPs point, it’s up high, you can’t install from under unless your arms are wildly long. Reading over from the top means an uncomfortable grip situation…

OP, I get the issue, but I think it isn’t a problem so long as you hit relatively the right point right away. If you hit the filter into a bunch of odd surfaces before hitting the pipe nipple, it may be mildly concerning. Otherwise if you can get in the vicinity, and you’ve wiped things down already, I see no need for concern.
Ottawa yard tractors with the 6.7 will make you cuss for sure. I can’t imagine how tight it is in a pickup.

Are you serious? so it's a big ordeal like the fuel filter on the older trucks? Although I've never timed it but I can have the fender well out in about 5 minutes, but I do say a few 4 letter words along the way.
you dont need to take the fenderwell out on the late models... it has a cutout in it just for snaking the fuel filter out of there..

I remove the passenger side front wheel when I change mine on a 2018 Ram 3500. Gives better access for a stiff old man. Still a pain but I can do it. (Don't forget to grease that hidden fitting on the 4x4 models)

I remove the passenger side front wheel when I change mine on a 2018 Ram 3500. Gives better access for a stiff old man. Still a pain but I can do it. (Don't forget to grease that hidden fitting on the 4x4 models)
I just turn the wheel all the way to the left when I do the fuel filter in my 07. Being tiny has a few upsides, not many but it has a few. lol

Mine is due up again one of these days. Depending how rickety I feel I plan to remove the I take ducting and go in the top. I prefer it as I won't leak oil everywhere. I can at least do everything without it on ramps. I'm 6'1 with long arms and this thing makes me stretch.

As stated, don't ever forget to grease the cardan!! I use a syringe tip on the grease gun and depress the check ball on the zerk and jam her home.

I just did mine through the top. Hardest part is always removing the CCV vent line. Was able to remove the old filter, not spill a drop and install the new filter 3/4 primed. Why? Because I can.

Attachments

• 20230409_114907.jpg
    20230409_114907.jpg
    183.6 KB · Views: 23
  • 20230409_120147.jpg
    20230409_120147.jpg
    189.8 KB · Views: 23
  • 20230409_120843.jpg
    20230409_120843.jpg
    120.8 KB · Views: 24
Back