Priming the oil filter on a 6.7 Cummins and then screwing it on..

I've found that if I am really ambitious ( I usually am not) I can get away with adding about 12 ounces of oil to the oil filter on my Cummins and giving it a few minutes for the filter media to absorb it, I can install the filter thru the fender well without spilling any.. but that oil filter priming recommendation just one of those recommendations that make life difficult without accomplishing very much.

I've found that if I am really ambitious ( I usually am not) I can get away with adding about 12 ounces of oil to the oil filter on my Cummins and giving it a few minutes for the filter media to absorb it, I can install the filter thru the fender well without spilling any.. but that oil filter priming recommendation just one of those recommendations that make life difficult without accomplishing very much.

I dunno. When I fill my filter I get oil pressure within 2-3 seconds after starting the engine. When I havent filled it, I start getting pretty nervous by the time pressure starts to register. Maybe 6-8 seconds?

Question is, is any real wear done in those 6-8 seconds? Probably not. But my fingernails can end up in pretty rough shape....

I always pre fill my 21 6.7 Cummins just need proper tool for removal and installation really a must have tool for zero mess.
https://www.amazon.com/Auto-Direct-Save-05083285AA-Cummins/dp/B07B6DHG9N
How do you avoid making a mess installing the new prefilled oil filter. I put half quart in and walk away for day 20-30 minutes. Hardly any new oil runs out when I turn filter upside down over a empty clean rotella jug. The new design 19’ and up rams with 6.7 some engineer should be smacked for burying the oil filter where they did. It’s not fun

How do you avoid making a mess installing the new prefilled oil filter. I put half quart in and walk away for day 20-30 minutes. Hardly any new oil runs out when I turn filter upside down over a empty clean rotella jug. The new design 19’ and up rams with 6.7 some engineer should be smacked for burying the oil filter where they did. It’s not fun
It’s a screw in plug for the filter that allows you to pass it through vertically it’s why I posted the correct tool and must have tool for removal and installation without a mess.

I dunno. When I fill my filter I get oil pressure within 2-3 seconds after starting the engine. When I havent filled it, I start getting pretty nervous by the time pressure starts to register. Maybe 6-8 seconds?

Question is, is any real wear done in those 6-8 seconds? Probably not. But my fingernails can end up in pretty rough shape....
lets face it, those anti wear additives in the leftover motor oil do their job in these situations. :)

So simple works as intended and you’ll kick yourself why I didn’t have it earlier I’ve never spilled a drop changing my 21 3500 Cummins.
I've found if you let the engine sump drain overnite, most of the oil gets siphoned out of the filter.
When you loosen it, its not nearly the mess a filter is on a hot engine.

Too much fuel in the system!!! strange engine working very nice, maybe it cause by Hot shot? or bad winter fuel. I need to change a fuel station.

Oil test resutls 1 .jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
I've always prefilled any oil filter which permits it.

On my old (and new) mechanical diesel tractors the filter is horizontal, no chance to prefill. I disconnect the fuel shutoff solenoid and crank until I have oil pressure, takes about 5 seconds.

On any vehicles which hasn't been run in awhile, I disable the fuel system and crank until the idiot light extinguishes.

Pulling an engine control relay, or fuel injector connectors is usually pretty easy.

I don’t know how common it is these days, but depressing the accelerator 100% keeps the injectors off, so that the starter will crank, but the engine will not start. I believe it harkens back to the days of carbs, but I also believe it’s a feature on fuel injected vehicles, as well.
Diesel engines do not have clear flood mode.

what is this oil filter plug going to do? The only way it's spilling is if you drop it on your head as soon as it unscrews. There isn't any room with it all squeezed up next to the ac compressor to screw that thing on. You can only fit one arm up there. I must be missing something.

I believe thats why some engines show more engine wear when people run short intervals verses than the ones that run a normal oil change interval? Just my 2 cents as I'm guilty of running shorter intervals than I probably should. LOL

I believe thats why some engines show more engine wear when people run short intervals verses than the ones that run a normal oil change interval? Just my 2 cents as I'm guilty of running shorter intervals than I probably should. LOL
Last I checked the cummins has a dummy guage. Did they finally give a real oil pressure guage? Hot oil pressure should be about 20psi

Back