Priming the oil filter on a 6.7 Cummins and then screwing it on..

As some of you know the oil filters on a 6.7 Cummins have instructions about sealing the gasket with fresh oil and then filling the oil filter up with fresh oil. This is on the mopar and fleet guard filters. Some on YouTube suggest to fill it around 75%

Anyway

As some of you know it’s a BIG PITA the first time because you’re screwing it on blind. After experience you really just know where the male threading is at.. the first time it took me an hour to find the male threading and screw it on.. now it takes me less than a minute

I don’t know how bad it is to have exposed oil possibly being contaminated by the surrounding dust on the engine.. especially the first few times when i was trying to screw it on blind..

I know you can put oil through the dirty oil holes so it can be filtered by the media BUT in the end you still have filtered oil exposed and depending on the surrounding environment of the engine it could get contaminated as tiny small amount of debris could fall into the filter..

Not sure if I should be more concerned or not. I change the oil in a garage so it’s somewhat of a controlled environment. I’ve done a few oil changes outside on other equipment but there was no wind or visible dust blowing around.

As some of you know the oil filters on a 6.7 Cummins have instructions about sealing the gasket with fresh oil and then filling the oil filter up with fresh oil. This is on the mopar and fleet guard filters. Some on YouTube suggest to fill it around 75%

Anyway

As some of you know it’s a BIG PITA the first time because you’re screwing it on blind. After experience you really just know where the male threading is at.. the first time it took me an hour to find the male threading and screw it on.. now it takes me less than a minute

I don’t know how bad it is to have exposed oil possibly being contaminated by the surrounding dust on the engine.. especially the first few times when i was trying to screw it on blind..

I know you can put oil through the dirty oil holes so it can be filtered by the media BUT in the end you still have filtered oil exposed and depending on the surrounding environment of the engine it could get contaminated as tiny small amount of debris could fall into the filter..

Not sure if I should be more concerned or not. I change the oil in a garage so it’s somewhat of a controlled environment. I’ve done a few oil changes outside on other equipment but there was no wind or visible dust blowing around.

Are you able to reach up and clean the area before removing the old filter?

My Subarus have top-mounted oil filters. There is about 1/2” surrounding the filter that I clean before removing the old filter. I also clean whats left before I install the new filter, but doing it beforehand minimizes the risk of accidentally wiping some into the hole.

You’re overthinking this. Just keep doing what you’re doing this is standard practice with vertically mounted filters.
Now that I think about it, I’m not sure cleaning the area before removing the old filter is the best idea. If it‘s so hard to install the filter, it’s likely also difficult to clean. You might actually make it worse by moving all of the dirt up so that it build up against the old filter, making it more likely to introduce the dirt while installing the new filter.

Vertical filters only? I prefill all my cannister and cartridge filters, even the upside down, sideways, and angled ones. The only difference is the 'amount'. I fill as much as possible without creating major spill.

If you have to snake the full of oil filter in, invest in a filter plug.

The dust floating around isn't going to make a difference whether the filter is full or not. The dust is there!

All my filter mounts are cleaned at every filter service.

This isn't rocket science. Its not hard to do. It takes a little experience and then you don't even think about it. So, why worry about it?

Working blind takes some practice. People are walking/jobbing/driving blind with their phones glued to their faces and not all get Darwin awards. We're adapting!

And don't forget to thank, or curse, your automaker for requiring a circus acrobat, or contortionist, for simple maintenance.

Last edited:
Funny to hear the comments about it not being hard…. I wonder how many have actually replaced the filter on a 5.9 or 6.7 Cummins.

I get OPs point, it’s up high, you can’t install from under unless your arms are wildly long. Reading over from the top means an uncomfortable grip situation…

OP, I get the issue, but I think it isn’t a problem so long as you hit relatively the right point right away. If you hit the filter into a bunch of odd surfaces before hitting the pipe nipple, it may be mildly concerning. Otherwise if you can get in the vicinity, and you’ve wiped things down already, I see no need for concern.

Forgot to clarify I use the oil filter plug and the oil filter wrench designed for the 6.7 Cummins oil filter

Now that I think about it, I’m not sure cleaning the area before removing the old filter is the best idea. If it‘s so hard to install the filter, it’s likely also difficult to clean. You might actually make it worse by moving all of the dirt up so that it build up against the old filter, making it more likely to introduce the dirt while installing the new filter.

You can’t physically see the underside of the oil filter mount so you would have to rub under it with a cloth and risk spreading dirt and and stuff more

I did it anyway though and little showed on the clean rag

Funny to hear the comments about it not being hard…. I wonder how many have actually replaced the filter on a 5.9 or 6.7 Cummins.

I get OPs point, it’s up high, you can’t install from under unless your arms are wildly long. Reading over from the top means an uncomfortable grip situation…

OP, I get the issue, but I think it isn’t a problem so long as you hit relatively the right point right away. If you hit the filter into a bunch of odd surfaces before hitting the pipe nipple, it may be mildly concerning. Otherwise if you can get in the vicinity, and you’ve wiped things down already, I see no need for concern.

Yeah, i think the only way to go through the front passenger side wheel well. As you know you can’t instill it directly underneath and you can’t go topside through the hood

I’m 5’8 and I took me 3 tries to finally do it. At my height I do have to physically look at the filter to know where it needs to be to then lift it up to the threading/nipple. And I can only do it with my left arm

Yeah, i think the only way to go through the front passenger side wheel well. As you know you can’t instill it directly underneath and you can’t go topside through the hood

I’m 5’8 and I took me 3 tries to finally do it. At my height I do have to physically look at the filter to know where it needs to be to then lift it up to the threading/nipple. And I can only do it with my left arm
I do go straight down from the top. And it isn’t that intuitive to get the threads started… and it’s worrisome with a full filter.

Nothing impossible, but just a bit of a challenge, especially when you want to keep things clean.

I’m 6ft 4 with fairly long arms, and reaching everything can be tough. If 5’8 you’d need a platform to reach many things!

Would it be any easier to install the filter dry and use the clear flood to crank the engine for a couple of seconds before starting?

Anyway

On the ones we have at work, I usually put about 1/4 quart in the filter then put it on. Saves the mess as the location is less than ideal. Now a ford power stroke 6.7 is much easier. Just my thoughts

My 6.7 isn’t difficult, pour some fresh oil in the new filter, apply fresh oil to the gasket. I just reach up there laying on my floor creeper and spin it on till the gasket makes contact then typically 3/4 turn with filter wrench and it’s tight.

I do go straight down from the top. And it isn’t that intuitive to get the threads started… and it’s worrisome with a full filter.

Nothing impossible, but just a bit of a challenge, especially when you want to keep things clean.

I’m 6ft 4 with fairly long arms, and reaching everything can be tough. If 5’8 you’d need a platform to reach many things!

Because of my shorter arms I have to do it all with my left arm.. once I unscrew the oil filter plug I have to lift up the oil filter with my left hand.. like use my fingers to inch the filter up until I can get my pinky on the bottom of said filter. Then I can turn to look and see what I’m doing.. but doing the whole thing one armed wasn’t fun at first!

What is a clear flood?

I don’t know how common it is these days, but depressing the accelerator 100% keeps the injectors off, so that the starter will crank, but the engine will not start. I believe it harkens back to the days of carbs, but I also believe it’s a feature on fuel injected vehicles, as well.

I don't own the special cap tool so I have done one through the fender (never again) but I go in the top. I'm 6'1 and have long arms so its not as horrible as it could be. Pull the intake ducting and go in that way. I always prefill, say half full and use two hands to put it in. One hand to align and hold it the other to spin it on.

Also, save for the cab and chassis trucks, 2013+ 3500s and 2014+ 2500s have the new frame cross member, which disallows you from going through the bottom. It's either through the fender or from the top. Both suck.

Im a bit late chiming in here, but the Cummins B/ISB 5.9's and 6.7's are actually easy to change filters on. It's when they're in a Dodge/Ram truck that they become a PITA. This is due to how the automaker laid out and/or routed components under the hood. It's unfortunate, really, because the basic engine design lends itself to easy maintenance.

We have a 3.9 in a 1985 Versatile bidirectional here and its such a simple design to change fuel and oil filters. Even the injection pump is easy to get to.

Back