Prices of limes way up now

I was at a market that has a variety of different produce, but the thing that really shocked me was the price of small Persian limes at 59 cents each. They're only grown commercially in Mexico, but I remember last year I was getting them 6 for $1 at Hispanic grocery stores, and 20 cents each was pretty common. I even remember seeing them at WM for as little as 8 cents each. I figured a small lemon (33 cents but much large) would have to do for my guacamole.

There's talk that maybe it's criminal cartels fixing the prices.

I've heard that unripe, green lemons are actually more commonly used in Mexico than Persian limes. So you're not going for a twist in your bottle of Corona?
A Persian lime cultivar is half lemon and half key lime anyway. I substitute Meyer lemons for any lemon or lime. I find them most pleasing and good enough to eat.

A Persian lime cultivar is half lemon and half key lime anyway. I substitute Meyer lemons for any lemon or lime. I find them most pleasing and good enough to eat.

That's really an orange hybrid though. My aunt's place had a Meyer lemon bush and we used to make lemonade out of it. I thought that's what a lemon was supposed to taste like. My parents have one now. But it's really not all that great for stuff like adding acidity to guacamole or with tequila shots.

Cartels also run the resorts and occasionally have wars that you can be part of too!

Off topic but important nonetheless. Not sure why people still go on vacation to these highly dangerous areas, basically like Afghanistan with a beach. Fruits and Veggies from Mexico, delicious, pay the cartel tax, whatever, but I'm not going south of the border.

Back