Prices going up.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Everyone noticing the prices of everything rapidly going up? Regular unleaded is almost $3 a gallon here while premium is $4. My cheap $1 a gallon milk is almost $3. My under a dollar dozen eggs is nearing $2. Fresh fruit and vegetables are getting expensive. Cheapy fast food meals are nearing $10 (not that I eat them but just have observed). The restaurants we like to go to though seem the same and haven't gone up. It's mostly gas and groceries.

Good thing you finally noticed.

Tip: buy a cardigan sweater now before the winter comes. You will be asked to put it on. Prices of sweaters will skyrocket on the demand.

Pumping the economy with $6 trillion in new spending called Build Back Better plan. Over the last 12 months, the all items index increased 5.4 percent before seasonal adjustment. This was the largest 12-month increase since a 5.4-percent increase for the period ending August 2008. $1.9 trillion American Rescue Plan. Spending our way into success has never worked.

What’s the real inflation rate ?

Are more stimulus checks needed ?

5.4% and no! We can't spend our way out of this.

Inflation due to the government printing money by the metric butt load combined with disruptions to production and distribution due to the virus.

I'm expecting it to be in the neighborhood of 6+ percent for 2021, though the "official" Consumer Price Index numbers are a bit dubious due to the exclusion of "volatile" categories like fuel.

Are more stimulus checks needed ?

“Year-to-Year June 2021 ShadowStats Alternate CPI Inflation (1980 Base) nudged higher to a forty-one-year high of 13.4% [13.38%], against June 1980 [an earlier reading that predates the ShadowStats series, when the headline CPI still was reported on a reasonably consistent basis], up from 13.0% in May 2021, 12.1% in April, 10.4% in March 2021, 9.4% in February 2021 and against 9.1% in January 2021.”

Everyone noticing the prices of everything rapidly going up? Regular unleaded is almost $3 a gallon here while premium is $4. My cheap $1 a gallon milk is almost $3. My under a dollar dozen eggs is nearing $2. Fresh fruit and vegetables are getting expensive. Cheapy fast food meals are nearing $10 (not that I eat them but just have observed). The restaurants we like to go to though seem the same and haven't gone up. It's mostly gas and groceries.
When was a gallon of milk $1 and eggs under $1 ?

Inflation due to the government printing money by the metric butt load combined with disruptions to production and distribution due to the virus.

I'm expecting it to be in the neighborhood of 6+ percent for 2021, though the "official" Consumer Price Index numbers are a bit dubious due to the exclusion of "volatile" categories like fuel.
Oh yeah but the S&P 500 is up over 18%, 18.4% year to date actually so I guess even with 6+ percent inflation, it's still ok. Lumber prices have come crashing down though.

It depends on where you live in the country. Here in SC in 2019, a dozen eggs were $0.99 and milk was $1.99/gal. The eggs are now $1.49/dozen and milk $3.19/gal. Chicken breasts were $1.99/lb, now $2.49/lb. Peaches were $0.99/lb, now $1.29/lb.

There's an IGA in my town that's just 2 miles down the road, the only grocery store in this town. We never shop there because their prices are outrageous. We drive to Kroger which is 33 miles one way. Including the cost of gas to drive there, we still save >$25/wk.

I'm going to approach the political third rail on this one, but be prepared for the cost of basic necessities (food, gas, housing) to continue to increase rapidly due to excess cash chasing a fixed (or even slightly decreased due to recent events) quantity of goods. Basic economics. Better get it before it's gone (or can't be afforded)!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back