Price of transmission service.

I have a 2019 Sorento with just over 41K miles on it, so I made an appt. to get my transmission fluid changed. The dealer emails back that it's gonna be $300.00. WOW! Seems like a lot of money for this one thing. It did mention something about "BG automatic transmission fluid flush". Is this some special, amazing fluid or procedure?
Am I getting ripped off? The car has only ever been to the dealer for maint, as we like going there, and want to keep going there as much as possible.

I have a 2019 Sorento with just over 41K miles on it, so I made an appt. to get my transmission fluid changed. The dealer emails back that it's gonna be $300.00. WOW! Seems like a lot of money for this one thing. It did mention something about "BG automatic transmission fluid flush". Is this some special, amazing fluid or procedure?
Am I getting ripped off? The car has only ever been to the dealer for maint, as we like going there, and want to keep going there as much as possible.
Don't ever-service, total waste of money. Do it no earlier then 80-100k miles.

I don't think 41k is over-servicing. But that service should last you 100k or so, IMO depending on driving conditions.

That said, I remember ATF service prices (usually fluid flush) at dealers being in the $200-250 range, but that was before COVID and inflation.

Not too far off the mark. Many modern transmissions no longer have a dipstick. When re-filling, fluid temp must be verified w a scan tool. When target temperature is reached the final top off is added until there is spillage from the overfill/whatever port. Yes, more complex than the trans of yesteryear.

It’s just broken in. Just an exchange of the fluid or some type of drain and fill. Always avoid flushes With any type of cleaning fluid. They can do more harm than good
I agree with this. Does the 2019 have the 6-speed auto? They are very very easy to D&F. Really no different than any other vehicle/oil change except it doesn't have a dipstick and you check fluid level from underneath. My $20 bluetooth scan tool (with Torque Pro or other phone app) reads transmission temp, so level can be checked at the correct temp-- but I don't think that's crucial, one can simply measure what came out and put it back in.

I just did a 4R70E for a guy. He said the local indy he usually uses for spill 'n fill charges $300. Note we're talking ~5 qts of MercV and a common, inexpensive filter....nothing exotic or rare about an F150

He brings me fluid and filter and is thrilled that I do it for $100 labor (shrug)

Check your severe service interval. 40k is a good time to service it if your gonna drive it for the long haul.
I was surprised how dark the fluid in the 2 Equinox's I maintain was at the 40k mark. 35k is their new interval.

Check your severe service interval. 40k is a good time to service it if your gonna drive it for the long haul.
I was surprised how dark the fluid in the 2 Equinox's I maintain was at the 40k mark. 35k is their new interval.
I completely understand an Equinox doesn't use MercLV but for those who do, don't go off fluid color:

The car has only ever been to the dealer for maint, as we like going there, and want to keep going there as much as possible.
So you're the original owner with the 10 year 100K warranty? How long do you plan to keep it? If you will sell before the warranty expires and the owners manual has no transmission fluid service interval (or it's 100K or more) why bother?

Krieg, the manual states 37.5k, so I am a little bit over. Plus, I drive the car very fast on a nearly total highway commute and I know that fast driving on a highway conditions with very few stops is really hard on the oil and transmission fluid. That's why I want to make sure I am doing the right thing with this transmission service.

Didn't check anywhere yet. Tried to call the our local Valvoline, but just sat on hold.

I wouldn't want a "BG flush" on anything this new. I'd do a drain and refill or nothing. A flush and BG additives will likely do more harm than good.

Krieg, the manual states 37.5k, so I am a little bit over. Plus, I drive the car very fast on a nearly total highway commute and I know that fast driving on a highway conditions with very few stops is really hard on the oil and transmission fluid. That's why I want to make sure I am doing the right thing with this transmission service.

I always believed a nice, long highway commute was much easier on the fluids and mechanicals versus a lot of stop-and-go/short commute driving.

Sturg,

Ask the service department if that BG routine uses a cleaner first. If so, I’d skip it.

I only go with a T-Tec tranny fluid EXCHANGE machine that uses no cleaners and simply uses the new fluid to push out the old fluid.

Back