Price of OPE Oil

Status
Not open for further replies.
For 4 cycle oil the branded OPE oil prices are expensive. John Deere 5W-30 SN, GF5 oil is $5.98/quart, at Lowe's. Nothing on the bottle about it being synthetic or a synthetic blend. Briggs and Stratton 5W-30 oil is $4.98 for 18 oz
crazy2.gif
. It has no API rating, only "warranty certified". Briggs and Stratton 5W-30 synthetic oil is now $9.98/quart at Lowe's
crazy2.gif
. Walmart across the street has Mobil 1 HM 5W-30 for around $22/5 quart jug! This is API rated SL, supposedly better for air cooled 4 cycle engines than the more current API SN rated oils.

Whimsey

You are mostly paying for the name brand on the label. John Deere oil is pretty good, but I wouldn't use it over a nice HDEO like Rotella T.

Many consumers just think "Oh if I buy the John Deere or Briggs and Stratton oil, it will be better for my lawn mower" and that is how they make their money.

I can get a jug of Chevron HDEO (isosyn version) 15W40 from wallymart for 13 bux.

Why pay for the JD name when isosyn based oil from a reputable oil company can beat the price and most probably beat the performance as well?

"shrug"

Q.

On the flipside VIP/oreilly's was clearancing 10w30 G-oil API certified, but in little bottles for OPE, for under two bucks a bottle, or under $4/qt for full syn. I would have felt goofy putting all those little "shooters" in my car.

Simple solution, don't buy that garbage.

Look on the shelf at Walmart and see which is cheaper. 15w40 or SAE30?

Then buy the cheapest one.

Originally Posted By: DemoFly
Simple solution, don't buy that garbage.

Look on the shelf at Walmart and see which is cheaper. 15w40 or SAE30?

Then buy the cheapest one.

I don't, except I got a bunch of B&S 5W-30 full synthetic oil for my B&S generator for $4.78/quart before Lowe's raised the price to $9.98/quart.

Whimsey

Sometimes I'll pay a little more for fluids at my dealer though, a little good will down the road could make the price difference insignificant...

A quart of Honda 10w30 Power Equipment oil is over $10 and 12oz bottles at HD are $5.99. Amazon wants $3.99 for 3.4oz of the same stuff for my Honda trimmer. Crazy expensive for sure !

Like assuming that the house wine is better than say chateau margaux . Only difference is that the house oil i the more expensive one...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back