Price of oil is higher every time I buy it

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: user52165
At least the quality keeps getting better. When you pay more for for junk........... that is a problem.

This is a very important and valid point.

OTOH there are always deals.
I have about a four year stash at the moment, and because I take advantage of the deals, the average cost is pretty low.
This year, I bought three jugs of Ultra, three of G-Oil and fifteen quarts of QSUD all FAR.
I also bought seven gallons of Synpower at a pricey $1.80/qt after MIR, tax and postage included, since the gallon jugs were on clearance.
Finally, I got four gallons of Maxlife and two of Durablend for about $1.50/qt after combining cearance pricing with an MIR.
You should plan ahead a bit, and buy a couple of years worth while oil is cheap.
That way, you don't need to be concerned with rising prices, and you can use what would otherwise be costly oils for cheap.

At least the quality keeps getting better. When you pay more for for junk........... that is a problem.

Maybe the quality of a FEW things has gone up a bit, but from what I have seen the quality of most things HAS DECREASED AND THE PRICE HAS GONE UP!

Originally Posted By: 91344George

Maybe the quality of a FEW things has gone up a bit, but from what I have seen the quality of most things HAS DECREASED AND THE PRICE HAS GONE UP!

Do you need a new keyboard, George?
You seem to have intermittent sticking of the caps lock key.
The quality of many goods has improved, while the price in constant dollars hasn't increased.
A good example would be Korean and American cars.
Take the current Malibu, for example, compared to the 1980 model.
The current car retails for about the same money in constant dollars, yet is more refined, more economical, longer lasting, safer and more luxurious in every way.
For that matter, a new Accord LX costs only a couple of grand more at actual retail than our '99 did when we bought it new, so a new Accord LX is actually cheaper in constant dollar terms.
For the extra couple of grand in nominal dollars, you get a larger car that delivers better fuel economy, more room, much better acceleration, as well as an engine that requires no timing belt changes.
An improved product at a lower price in constant dollars.
There are other examples that might be noted.
Clothing prices at actual average retail are no higher today than they were thirty years ago in constant dollars, yet the quality of moderately priced clothing has improved considerably, although part of that has to do with the use of low wage labor, while another factor, equally important, is the much more competitive retail landscape.
Certain commodities, or those final goods that rely upon those commodities, have increased in realtive price and have increased in price in constant dollars.
Certainly meat, fish, poultry and fuel are more costly in constant dollars than they were thirty years ago, but that is a consequence of worldwide felt demand, as more people outside the old developed world have the means to use more fuel and to upgrade their diets.

I agree that quality of almost everything goes down and the price goes up. Even foods........cheaper ingredients BUT higher price tags.

My reference to quality was for oil - the subject of this thread. My refernce to junk was for some other items. So I will plead guilty for diverting us off the intended subject.

There is no doubt oil prices have gone up. I only meant to say we are getting a better quality item for a higher price.

Last edited:
In the news tonight, one of the more popular countries is threatening to
shut down the Strait of Hormuz; you'll see some serious oil prices then...

but were talking oil here...

Originally Posted By: Merkava_4
In the news tonight, one of the more popular countries is threatening to
shut down the Strait of Hormuz; you'll see some serious oil prices then...

Yep, even if it doesn't happen.

Originally Posted By: HTSS_TR
The world, Europe + America + ..., will never let any country, Iran or anyone else, "shut down the Strait of Hormuz".

Let's hope for:

We have the resources on hand to do the job.

We have the political WILL and LEADERSHIP to actually do it. Talk is cheap.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: demarpaint
The oil companies continuously test the limits of how much a consumer will pay, and people are paying the price so why not push it a bit higher? Supply and demand is a portion of what determines price, increases to test the limits are another portion.

Yes, but motor oil is a product of crude oil, isn't it? All other crude oil products fluctuate in price when the price of crude oil fluctuates....gasoline, diesel, and everything else made from crude oil goes up and down in price except for motor oil, which just continues to go up. Why is motor oil the only crude oil product that isn't suseptible to price swings, except for going up in price? It seems to me that when crude oil prices go down, so should the price of motor oil...

The short answer is oil companies know people will pay $10 a qt or more for a "premium synthetic", they've already tested and proven that, why lower it? In fact raise the price of all oil across the board, the public is already conditioned. Supply and demand are only a portion, whatever the market will bear is another factor.

The defenders of oil pricing will say when crude drops the oil companies might have bought their base oils when prices were higher, add packs are high, shipping high, inflation, demand, supply, or prices might go up again, pick one, they certainly can't lower it. If they do its never in a fair proportion.
27.gif
LOL Its a sin really.

I noticed that Mobil1 was high in the beginning of the year and late summer early fall it seemed to be $.50 a qt less. Lately I noticed oil going up again.

This is at WalMart and PepBoys. When I was a fleet buyer of oil back in the 80s and 90s I would get a price sheet every week from my supplier and those prices fluctuated just like any other commododies(sp) market.

Back then prices for a 55 gallon drum of 10w-40 conventional(that we put in everything) was around $150,$180, $200 we thought that was outrageous and thought the world was going to come to an end. The price would fluctuate as little as a dollar to as much as 9 or 10 dollars a drum,up or down, in one week.

When it broke through the $200s the boss was concerned that increases like these were going to put us out of business... of course he was talking about all energy related costs across the board.

I'll bet a lot of you guys never even saw an oil can, except in pictures!

Originally Posted By: GhostFlame

LOL, wanna bet?

Originally Posted By: demarpaint
Originally Posted By: GhostFlame

LOL, wanna bet?

Remember when they were metal sides then became paper. And a REAL case of 24 quarts! None of this sissy 6 or 12 qts are a case junk.

Opened more than a few...

Originally Posted By: nooil
it's called inflation and yes you will be paying 10-15 dollars a quart before long...

It better not! or I`ll join tig1`s club and do 10k intervals myself.

Originally Posted By: Bill in Utah
Remember when they were metal sides then became paper. And a REAL case of 24 quarts! None of this sissy 6 or 12 qts are a case junk.

Opened more than a few...

I remember it well. To this day I have a Valvoline cardboard 24 qt box full of pray paint cans. In 78 when I bought my first M1 in the qt can it was all metal. I still have the church key I opened qts of oil going back to the early 60s.

Originally Posted By: tig1
I remember it well. To this day I have a Valvoline cardboard 24 qt box full of pray paint cans. In 78 when I bought my first M1 in the qt can it was all metal. I still have the church key I opened qts of oil going back to the early 60s.

You Da`man tig!!
grin.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back