Price of GC in Canada

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi All,

It's getting near time to change out the GC. I went to the local WallyWorld in my Ottawa neighborhood (Barhaven) to check the stock, batch #s, etc. When I checked the price, I nearly $hit myself. $8.xx for a liter bottle
thumbsdown.gif
. When I purchased my last batch, it was $7.30 per. At this price, I may check out the ESSO XD OW 30.

Anyone else in Canada (or anywhere else, for that matter) notice an increase in the price of the blessed elixer?

Cheers,

Bry
canada.gif

A couple weeks ago Canadian (crraaappy) Tire had a sale going on all Castrol "synthetics". GC was priced the same as the rest @ $5.99/L Sale may still be on.

Quick, hurry! The Walmart in Barrhaven is the only store in Ottawa where I've been able to find any green GC remaining
canada.gif
At least it did about 2 weeks ago, that might've changed by now...

Yes, GC has gone up in price, along with most other oils
frown.gif
Recent price increases on the normal M1 SS, and M1 EP is insanely priced at CT...

GC at Canadian Tire is $8.99 a quart! I bought 6 bottles of GC at Canadian Tire when they had the sale on, once they run out I think I'll go with XD3 0w40 from Walmart.

If it makes you feel any better Redneck, I just stumpled into some of the elusive and obsolete GREEN GC at my local Bumper-to-Bumper. I excitedly rushed the 6 bottles of Green I found to the till for payment. Imagine my surprise when they rang through at $11.40 per bottle!
shocked.gif
frown.gif
I then sadly hauled the bottles back to the shelf and left. I mean come on......it's good stuff but I can get 3 bottles of good old Castrol GTX dino for the price of one green?

These are CDN $ prices?
What's XD3?
And how much does M1 5W50 cost up there?

gtx510

Yes these are Canadian $. XD3 0W 30 is ESSO's pure synthetic motor oil. It is PAO based, heavy duty, a great add pack and no dino added
grin.gif
. You can check out the VOA and UOA sections for more info. Unfortunately, it is not available in the USA
frown.gif
(however, a little cross-border shopping is an option, if you are close by). Not sure about the price of the M1 5W50 but it was comparable to the GC, so I,m sure the price of that has gone up too.

Cheers,

Bry
canada.gif

Thanks for the info. nah, if I'm crossing the border it's to TJ. Maybe one day I'll make it back to BC, it's beautiful up there.
I was just curious about the M1 b/c I'm jealous that you guys get the good stuff and we're stuck with M1 15W50 EP.
And i couldn't place the XD3. Thanx

It was suggested by a local bro that the price of lubes was going up because of the recent increases of crude. I asked how this could be since the GC, Mobil, etc are all pure synthetic and have no (or very little) petrolube in them. After a few more beers we came to the conclusion that the oil companies couldn't care less what the product is made from, quick profit is good profit
thumbsdown.gif
. Oil rape again.

Bry
canada.gif

You Canadians should keep an eye on the Items for Sale. I got 20+ quarts (1 Quart = 0.94635 Liters) for around $4/qt from fellow BITOG members. I don't know but that sure sounds cheaper than $11/liter.
tongue.gif
Maybe shipping would be too much? Never tried to ship out of country.

Prices are $8.99/L everywhere I've seen. In the two plus years I've been stalking the GC I have never seen a sale on it once. Trust me, I look for it.

Is there a difference in the makeup and the additive pack between the Esso XD-3 Ow30 and Ow40? I can get both of them here, with 0w40 costing $5.58/L plus GST.

quote:

Originally posted by e36'n:
Prices are $8.99/L everywhere I've seen. In the two plus years I've been stalking the GC I have never seen a sale on it once. Trust me, I look for it.

Is there a difference in the makeup and the additive pack between the Esso XD-3 Ow30 and Ow40? I can get both of them here, with 0w40 costing $5.58/L plus GST.

You have to visit Canadian tire more often. This is the second time within a year that they have knocked GC to 5.99/L.

quote:

Originally posted by Redneck53:
Hi All,
Anyone else in Canada (or anywhere else, for that matter) notice an increase in the price of the blessed elixer?

I've a noticed a significant increase in the price of ALL oils in Canada. I was in a WalMart in Niagara Falls, NY last weekend (I live 20 minutes from the NY State border). I'm tellin'ya, you would cry if you saw the prices and the selection they have compared to us in Canada. The measly 10% exchange rate on the dollar does not account for the price differential.

M1 10W-30 : $24 US for 4.5 quarts; $38 for 4.4 Liters here (and then 14% tax which takes it $43).

Castrol GTX in 4.5 or 5 quart jugs : $9 US and change. Here : $17 here for 4.5 liters (+ 14% tax).

Pennzoil yellow jug; Quaker State green jug : both basically $17 here (+14%). Both well under $10 there.

Maxlife Dino and Castrol HM dino are both carrying bascially the same price tags here in Canada ($22 each), as M1 is in the US ($24).

It was that kind of difference for almost everything. Plus they have all the SuperTech oils and filters and a bunch of other stuff I cant'even remember. I bought some Techron, which we don't have here in Canada.

I'm using up my oil stash here, then buying across the border after that. We're gettin screwed on oil and gas in Canada.

quote:

Originally posted by Redneck53:
e36'n

Both the 0W30 and the 0W40 are pure synthetic (PAO)basestock. Check Google (ESSO XD-3)and you will see the product sheets.

Cheers

Bry

Thanks. Are there any major differences between the two oils? I've heard that 0w40 shears fairly easy in turbocharged vehicles. Would either of these have VII's?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back