price my 1999 Ford Ranger

My father passed away in January and my mom needs to sell his 1999 Ford Ranger truck. This truck was bought new when he retired and has only 33,000 miles. I'm having a difficult time determining a price to list it. Edmunds and KBB are very far apart when I use them to check prices, and there really is nothing comparable on Craigslist.

What price should I put on this?

1999 Ford Ranger XLT
33,000 miles
I am near Nashville TN.
ranger1.jpg

ranger2.jpg
ranger3.jpg

Looks clean.

What engine and trans?

Is the front bumper cut away / bent?
It has been kept under cover.
The engine is a 3.0 V6
Automatic transmissiion.
That's just how the bumper looks, it's not modified.

Rangers have ridiculously good resale value. Start the price high and if you need to, lower it as you go. You might get surprised and someone buys it at $9k. People are weird.

Satin Silver's estimate looks sound.
I don't think $9K for a shiny red cherry is TOO far out of line but 6K-7K is what I'd expect.
Then again, roofless might be dead on.
Both Ranger-Forums.com and therrangerstation.com have classified sections which are free.
Include VIN in any ad and see if you can locate the axle number.
I assume you have the 5R44E trans. 2WD or 4WD?

My father passed away in January and my mom needs to sell his 1999 Ford Ranger truck. This truck was bought new when he retired and has only 33,000 miles. I'm having a difficult time determining a price to list it. Edmunds and KBB are very far apart when I use them to check prices, and there really is nothing comparable on Craigslist.

What price should I put on this?

1999 Ford Ranger XLT
33,000 miles
I am near Nashville TN.
View attachment 45953

View attachment 45954View attachment 45955

5K - 5500 if the frame is perfect. I threw a 4WD one of these (own by family member) in the bone yard with under 35K on it with a perfect body, drive train and interior. The frame was broken in 3 places and the whole bottom was rotted.
The cost of a new frame and the time to do it equaled about the same price as it was worth, if it were mine I may have fixed it or parted it out.

Up here that things is worth $7500 easy. No many clean low mile ones left. People lose their minds for any vehicle that's from out of state.

I was at a government auction a few weeks ago and one agency had 4 2007-2008 Ford Rangers with 60k-90k miles and they all sold for $6k-$6.5K. All were 2.3 4 cylinder, some regular cab, some king cab.

I was thinking 5-6k myself.. I bought a 99 s10 extended cab v6 with 50k miles for $500 (needed intake manifold gaskets) and sold to my mother for $3800. At the time (a couple years ago) I figured I could probably get 5-6 for it if I wanted to, and that was a more desirable truck than this ranger IMO. That said no reason to not shoot for the moon and see what happens, IMO the moon would be $7500.

I would consider putting it on an auction site like carsandbids.com with a reserve (if you're worried). I've seen some vehicles go for pretty high prices there, particularly rare ones (like this Ranger in such good condition with low miles).

Depends largely on amount of rust. With little to no body or frame rust, I'd start at $6K. With rust, could drop steeply from there. Keep in mind that to get that price you may have to prove the low mileage with records and receipts.

This is a strange time for used vehicle pricing due to an epidemic and rising new vehicle pricing, but in general Edmunds should have been much closer to a realistic price for a 3rd party sale than KBB, but it also depends on region... they sell for more in urban areas, so the nearer you are to Nashville, the more it might be worth.

Back