Price cut and free charging for Tesla

I don't know that Elon's behavior has "tarnished" the brand, except maybe in the eyes of his haters of which there are many.
However his behavior has definitely affected the stock price as has his selling off of large chunks of TSLA to pay off his borrowed money to purchase Twitter. And the worldwide poor economy, rising interest rates and lack of confidence in what our own government is doing to fix the economic problems is contributing to slowing sales.

I think as always, Elon will prove his detractors wrong and will soon have the Twitter situation stabilized and under a new CEO that will follow his general directives and vision for the company. And Elon will quit effing around and get back to running Tesla and Space-X.

I have felt like jumping off a building while watching my TSLA holdings plummet like a rock these last few months. But I'm also confident that it will recover faster than most any other stock once the economy starts to improve and I can once again do the Snoopy happy feet dance around my living room when I check the daily stock closing price.

We will soon see the Q4 2022 numbers. They may be disappointing but I'll bet they will also be the envy of all other automakers, ICE and EV.

US buyers get 10,000 miles of free supercharging.
Canadian and Mexican buyers get 10,000 kilometers of free supercharging.
What do they have against the metric system? Reminds me once of when a Canadian supplier tried to swindle us, then said it was due to exchange rate
:ROFLMAO:

The problem is we're at the end of the year and the tax credit is dead until January. Tesla manufacturing has sped up crazy fast. We ordered in September and had it in November. People are declining picking up their cars because it's too early to get it with the credit, hence why Tesla is throwing out these bonuses to replace that credit. They need to show the deliveries this month for end of year numbers and the government mucking around with credits has screwed all electric manufacturers sales.

Do I think the credit should exist? Absolutely not, but when that changed from $7,500 to nothing that was a major price increase perceived by buyers who are backing out. The reason why it is happening all at once is because we're in the last two weeks of the year and it's the difference between getting the credit or even being eligible. On top of that Tesla only gives you a small window of time to get your car or forfeit it so there's no "I'll just wait two weeks to pick up my car". It's a known thing and there's many conversations online about it about just walking away from the car, it's all over Reddit. You don't lose your deposit unless you do this twice, so say if we weren't able to get our car in time, they'd just build another and we'd get a chance to buy the next one and our car would have just went to the next person that ordered that option list and color. Do it the second time and you lose your deposit and you're off the waiting list. It's affecting all electric cars but it's well most prominent with Tesla because the size of their operation. Even my Ford dealer in a town of 16k people now have two electric vehicles on their lot when there had been a waiting list for all.

I didn't wait when we ordered ours. Would the credit have saved me on final purchase cost? Sure, but we wanted the car and I didn't buy it because of the tax credit. I was also concerned that if I was stuck waiting again it might also not be as quick and with my job it's hard to just drop something to drive 3 hours to pick up a car since the state of Wisconsin doesn't allow direct auto sales to consumer.

• Helpful
Reactions: GON
I don't know that Elon's behavior has "tarnished" the brand, except maybe in the eyes of his haters of which there are many.
However his behavior has definitely affected the stock price as has his selling off of large chunks of TSLA to pay off his borrowed money to purchase Twitter. And the worldwide poor economy, rising interest rates and lack of confidence in what our own government is doing to fix the economic problems is contributing to slowing sales.

I think as always, Elon will prove his detractors wrong and will soon have the Twitter situation stabilized and under a new CEO that will follow his general directives and vision for the company. And Elon will quit effing around and get back to running Tesla and Space-X.

I have felt like jumping off a building while watching my TSLA holdings plummet like a rock these last few months. But I'm also confident that it will recover faster than most any other stock once the economy starts to improve and I can once again do the Snoopy happy feet dance around my living room when I check the daily stock closing price.

We will soon see the Q4 2022 numbers. They may be disappointing but I'll bet they will also be the envy of all other automakers, ICE and EV.
Definition of wishful thinking!

The economy is doing OK. Interest rates are up, and they are where they were traditionaly. Still, the housing market in many parts of the country (here) is strong, regardless that the APR is 7%. Some other places are not, but maybe they needed correction. Hiring is strong, and November numbers show stronger consumer spending.

The car market needs correction. There are some genuine issues, but there is also artificial inflation of prices based on fearmongering. That is going to disappear as higher interest rates are slowing down sales. So that $5,000 above MSRP is going to slowly disappear.

But, TESLA does not have only problem with Elon, although his "vision" was to piss off people that actually buy his cars bcs. trend. Since Tesla was all about trends, and people keeping up with the Joneses, those people did not have a problem moving to another hair dryer, or they just burned through their EV itch.
Demand for Tesla in Germany is at abysmal levels, mostly bcs. his "vision." In China Tesla is facing real issues with COVID outbreak and messed up policy by CCP. That is something Tesla does not have influence over, but the problem is Elon made it worse at a time when he really should stay quiet.

He won't fix Twitter by hiring new CEO. He might hire someone, but someone that can actually do something, won't work for such an individual. Also, he thinks Twitter is a manufacturing floor.

A person that pays $44 bln for a company worth, at best $20bln, does not have a vision. That person has issues.

When we were looking at the Tesla website, the only Model 3s available for immediate delivery locally were 3 or 4 of the more expensive models. I was told that if someone cancelled an order for a car that was about to be delivered it would be snapped up within minutes. To get what you wanted you had to order and wait a few months. The price difference between the base model (which had incentives) and the more expensive models (which didn't) was considerable. So we ordered and waited almost 2 months.

Considering that test drives were available at their outlets makes me think those cars on offer may have been "demonstrators" as well.

So the year end clearance may be a chance to clear the decks of demonstrators and possibly to meet sales targets.

is this a new concept to offer year end factory incentives ?

maybe add a red bow and that annoying Lexus spokesman

The only Model 3 Performance that were available were demonstrators. Still pretty tempting to have this amazing car!
I was by the Sunnyvale Tesla store earlier; they were unloading 2 transports. I think there was a Plaid S... It sits low. Shoulda took a few pics.

I think there are additional factors:

The novelty of Tesla as a product is wearing off. Especially as other car makers launch their EVs, Tesla will be less unique in the market.

Supply is catching up to demand.

I agree that Elon has alienated people who could be potentially be his customers: educated, wealthy, liberal leaning people from big cities.

Disregarding the bad press, Elon's obsession with Twitter and culture wars is also taking his attention off Tesla. I think Tesla as a brand may potentially stagnate in the future and the stock will continue to fall. Future products like the cybertruck look like they missed the mark, and the battery technology is still not good enough to power semis.

Once the Twitter buy started to heat up, we sold TSLA @ $915. No need to be on that roller coaster ride...

Kinda fun to check local inventory. Yesterday there were about 10 Model 3 Performance; earlier today there were none.
And now there are no new 3s available.

This is how it was in Dec 2018 when we bought our Mid Range. You had to take what was available and the cars kept disappearing and then cars that came available from Fremont (right up the road) appeared on the screen. Our car came up fresh off the mfg line; White Mid Range, AP, Alloy wheels. Swipe that card quick! It was delivered to our driveway in 3 days as I recall. I sorta wanted the Dual Motor, but they only had black.

But for now guess I'm SOL. Hafta wait... I was pretty tempted!

Last edited:
That is the problem with a high flying stock at the time selling at close to 90 times earnings while the others are selling at 5 to 9 times earnings.
Tesla is just getting down closer to an industry average. All the hype, built in expectations have come to a halt, all the new factories coming on line and Wall Street noticed, ummm, the factories are not being used to the full capacity because he cant sell the cars. Barely any more back orders, lay offs, over capacity.
Factories are working at less than full capacity, I heard rumors of one running approx 20%. So with all the high hopes gone the stock price is coming down closer to what it should have been all along.

Still at an outrageous P/E of 38 times earnings, maybe we will see a stock price in the future at some point of 60 with a P/E of 17 times earnings which is still double the industry average.
Just my thoughts and that of others. No secret in here Ive been calling for this all year. There is danger in a high flying stock that is way out of the industry average on everything in a business that does nothing different that a dozen other companies do. Kind of like a new pair of blue jeans hitting the market, it's a hit one day until all the others catch up.
Here the stock is getting hammered and losing USA market share with every new product realized by its dozen other competitors which is a completely normal cycle in an over crowded field. Been saying all year, "its just a car" and wow, by the year 2025 people will be walking into USA showrooms all over the country comparing models of ICE and EV vehicles but they wont be walking in a Tesla showroom because there are none.

Yeah, know, I have even thought of buying Tesla stock now that it is down to this level but I remind myself of trying to catch a falling knife, heck like anyone, I can change my mind one day but that is looking way less likely. I feel bad for people that bought in the 200 to 400 range, I do and dont get me wrong, its not like I myself never had a loser, this one at that price I did see.

You mention the "envy of all other makers" that is only in the mind of a person who loves the company. From an investment standpoint an investor would ask, we do we go from here? and already the Tesla story has faded, they cant sell the amount of cars that their factories can produce. Meanwhile all the other makers are not only going to be offering their typical ICE vehicles but also EV vehicles. So which is better?
Tesla at 90 and now 40 times earnings and a whole host of legacy makers at 4 to 6 times earnings.

Last edited:
Until the day comes that "all the other automakers" are producing profit margins anywhere near what Tesla makes, yes Tesla will continue to be the envy among all makers. And considering that the Model 3 is outselling the extremely popular Toyota Camry I think that is something that other automakers are envious of as well.

Just wait until the next round of gas price hikes comes around. And we all know that it will. Those "educated, wealthy, liberal leaning people from big cities" that Elon has alienated will cry like little girls and get in line to buy a Tesla. And being that they are "educated" they won't buy another brand of EV because they are smart enough to know that cars like the Bolt, Mach-e and others are junk.

We'll see who's opinion is more accurate by the end of 2023. Let's revisit the topic then.

Back