Price check on vintage mopar

Status
Not open for further replies.
1983 Chrysler New Yorker

160,000 miles, newer Jasper engine with 50K on it (5.2/318)

some rust in the trunk but overall a straight body.

Not sure how much else was replaced - I am assuming the water pump is new but not sure about radiator, gear box, AC, carb. etc.

Asking price is $1650.

I realize 1983 is not a desirable year and certainly not a classic, just an old car.

You sure it's an 1983? Those are supposed to be the first year of the FWD K-cars. 1982 should have been the last year for the RWD V8.

early 1983 before the shift into K-car.

$1650 seems a little too much but say $1000 seems a little low given the Jasper motor. So it seems. I will take a look soon.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Bottom_Feeder
You sure it's an 1983? Those are supposed to be the first year of the FWD K-cars. 1982 should have been the last year for the RWD V8.

They had 2 New Yorkers through the mid 80's, the "Fifth Ave" that was built off the M-body ran until '89, and then the K-car based one (E-body) that was built '83-'88.

It's an M-body. I will assess the condition and see how to proceed. Reman engine means the water pump, the timing chain, etc are all new. So hopefully it won't break down right away with something major.

does $1200 sound reasonable? It does have some rust in the trunk.

These 318/3-speed never got good mileage, I would be surprised to see even 19mpg. OTOH, the tranny is more reliable than newer over-drive units. I need to see if the carb is rebuild, it's another source of problems.

Last edited:
No offense but the engine swap is a liability in my book, not an asset. Odds are it was hacked in and out and damaged the TC seal or something worse. Is it the 904 or 727 trans?

But it seems like a good deal at near a grand or so. Only a guess as I need to see it in person to be sure.

Your call...

Originally Posted By: pacem
It's an M-body. I will assess the condition and see how to proceed. Reman engine means the water pump, the timing chain, etc are all new. So hopefully it won't break down right away with something major.

does $1200 sound reasonable? It does have some rust in the trunk.

These 318/3-speed never got good mileage, I would be surprised to see even 19mpg. OTOH, the tranny is more reliable than newer over-drive units. I need to see if the carb is rebuild, it's another source of problems.

My friend had a Diplomat...22MPG highway was easy even at 75MPH. His was a 1989, 318 and a Qjet.

Originally Posted By: SteveSRT8
No offense but the engine swap is a liability in my book, not an asset. Odds are it was hacked in and out and damaged the TC seal or something worse. Is it the 904 or 727 trans?

But it seems like a good deal at near a grand or so. Only a guess as I need to see it in person to be sure.

Your call...

Trans is a 904, I think until 1984. (MY 85 was the low-gear A-999.) Should be lockup-converter. Rear is probably a 7.25", with super-tall (2.45 or even 2.26) gears.

i had a 1984 ply. was the same body, and drivetrain. the most important thing is to check what rear end it has. mine had the 7 1/4 rear end it only lasted 70,000 miles. if that has the same be ready on getting a 8 1/4 for it. and swapping out the lean burn ignition to the chrysler electronic ignition is a good idea.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back