preventing oil aeration

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm going to make the bypass of the oil pump in my engine dumping the oil back into the oil pan. I'm a bit worried about aeration occuring. Is there a good way to prevent it from happening ?

What are you trying to accomplish? Oil pump designs and how they are integrated in to oil system work just fine as is.

Aerated oil that lands on top of the oil in the pan will settle out before it reaches the bottom area of the pan to be picked up and forced back into the system. This is assuming that you have the oil at the correct level and the descending aerated oil does not fall into the path of the crankshaft.

For reasons of pump bypass cavitation.
Other said that injecting the oil below the surface would cause less aeration.

Returns should be under the oil level IMO. Provided that the return can be kept free of air.

Posting that jogged a dim distant memory on something that was long hidden.

Rather than having the bypass relieve back into the oil pick-up, IIRC, it was Smokey who modified the pumps to bypass away from the pump and back into the bulk oil.

A few google images later, and I was sort of right...

http://www.schumannsdynamicperformance.com/sbc-chevy-low-volume-drag-oil-pump.html

See how the pump is milled to provide relief to the sump rather than the inlet.

The dimpling on the gears is designed to create a "labyrinth" effect of two "half" pressure drops between cavities, and will reduce cavitation in and of itself.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back