preventing green corrosion on positive terminal

Status
Not open for further replies.
My mother's avalon has this problem. I tried painting it with some special stuff out of a spray can from advanced auto, no help.
when I look at it in the fall, always green corrosion.

What other uses have people found for Fluid Film? I cant believe how smooth it makes key locks/tumblers.

ALWAYS WEAR EYE PROTECTION WHEN WORKING WITH CAR BATTERIES, AND NO SMOKING OR OPEN FLAMES!!!!
Use a solution of 3 tablespoons of baking soda in a cup of hot water. Put a KAM unit on the car via the OBDII port, (Keep Alive Memory). This will energize the positive, so be careful with it. Remove the terminals [negative first] and clean them with the solution until it turns back to the correct color. Use rags or paper towels to get all of the solution off the battery and dry the terminals. Use a terminal brush to make everything "bright", and use proper tools to make the connections [positive first] "tight". Coat the terminals with white lithium grease. I have used bearing grease in the past. Some call for other stuff, such as the fluid film. Just be sure to put the terminals on FIRST, then the stuff. Don't forget the KAM unit.
The reader assumes all risks, as I am just someone on the internet giving my opinion.

Last edited:
How old is battery? If > 4 years, just get a new one.

Simple old remedy from years ago. Pour boiling water straight from the kettle over the terminal. When cool, clean & coat with Vaseline.

Originally Posted By: NHGUY
What other uses have people found for Fluid Film? I cant believe how smooth it makes key locks/tumblers.

PB Blaster 0wns there.

Noco makes a kit they carry it at Walmart P/N MC101, it costs a little under $3. It contains two felt washers that fit over the terminals,they provide a barrier against acid fumes that seep through improperly sealed batteries. The kit also contains a spray on corrosion inhibitor that protects the cable connectors. You can learn more at their website http://www.noco-usa.com/pdf/Noco-Catalog-Chemicals.pdf I had a similar situation on my 2006 Milan, the washers and inhibitor kept my terminals clean for 3 years until I sold it. Also if you don't feel comfortable disconecting your battery the felt washers can be cut.

Originally Posted By: Dan55
Noco makes a kit they carry it at Walmart P/N MC101, it costs a little under $3. It contains two felt washers that fit over the terminals,they provide a barrier against acid fumes that seep through improperly sealed batteries. The kit also contains a spray on corrosion inhibitor that protects the cable connectors. You can learn more at their website http://www.noco-usa.com/pdf/Noco-Catalog-Chemicals.pdf I had a similar situation on my 2006 Milan, the washers and inhibitor kept my terminals clean for 3 years until I sold it. Also if you don't feel comfortable disconecting your battery the felt washers can be cut.

that's cool, thank you

i found and use bg's ignition and batt.terminal sealer it does the following:
1)restores cracked or damaged insulation on wiring..
2)completely seals and weatherproofs wiring and electrical connections...
3)prevents corrosion of batt. terminals, cables and clamps..
4)insulates wiring from shorts-several coats will insulates bare wires..
5)protects chrome and metal surfaces..
6)colorless protection for decals,lettering,etc.
7)will not accumulate dust or dirt.

1. Clean the terminal.
2. Get the connection nice and tight, don't over tighten.
3. Give the connection a light coat of petroleum jelly, aka vaseline.
4. Get yourself a well deserved beer, or other beverage of choice, as you should not have that problem for number of years.

I did the above steps 5 years ago and my terminal have zero corrosion.

Originally Posted By: FXjohn
Originally Posted By: Y_K
Copper penny

what?

The copper penny would act like an anode in a cathodic protection system.

I agree with the advice of replacing the battery. If you're getting corrosion on the cables, the battery is leaking. From somewhere. We had this problem on a minivan we used to have...it ate the positive battery cable lead right off the battery. Found that the original battery actually had a pinhole leak in the plastic next to the terminal...you could actually SEE the hole.

Even if you can't see a hole or a leak, I'd replace the battery.

I've used plain old Coca-Cola before to clean and coat the terminals, and it works pretty well. It dries sticky and leaves a film, which is good for preventing corrosion.

I've started using Ideal No-Alox...it's a paste intended for protecting aluminum electrical connections against oxidization. Sold in the electrical dept. at Home Depot and Lowes, it works well on battery terminals too.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back