preventing green corrosion on positive terminal

Status
Not open for further replies.
Clean it all off. then make the interior of the clamp and the exterior of the post clean and shiny.
Assemble things tight.
Rustoleum spray paint over it all. Three thin coats are much better than one thick one.

Originally Posted By: JosephHarmon
This is an indication of acid seepage at that terminal.

5th it! Seriously, there is a small crack at the terminal and you can clean it to your heart's content but it will come back quickly. Get the new battery and then clean the wiring and use those felt washers.

Originally Posted By: FXjohn
My mother's avalon has this problem. I tried painting it with some special stuff out of a spray can from advanced auto, no help.
when I look at it in the fall, always green corrosion.

Somebody broke the case/post seal through over-tightening the terminal. There is no fix other than a new battery.

When you do replace the battery DO NOT reef-down on the terminal nuts!!! EVERYBODY does this, then they wonder why they get the green stuff.

The nuts ONLY need to be JUST tight enough to make it impossible to wiggle/rotate the terminal on the post with gentle finger-pressure. It takes VERY little, believe me.

When tightening the terminal nut, use two fingers and your thumb on the 10mm (or whatever) wrench, and push down about as hard as you would when closing a water faucet. ***NO HARDER***. Believe it or not.

Thank you! I am sure I had been guilty of over tightening the terminals in the past. I am going to remember your advice and logically it makes perfect sense.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back