Pretty happy with the FULL filter I just removed

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just did an oil change last weekend on the wife's Corolla with the sludge-prone 1.8 engine. I've been using Castrol GTX and Purolator filters since I started doing the changes, but I wanted to try something different for giggles.

Among a few other brands I bought from Amazon, I picked up a Taiwanese-made FULL filter. It looked like a basic black OEM-ish replacement filter with what looked like a coil-spring relief valve built into the dome end, a thick round O-ring, and shrink-wrap to keep the guts rust-free. Only thing I really didn't like was some excess glue that was squeezed out of the endcaps on the bottom near the relief valve, but I rolled the dice and used it anyway.

During the change after a 3k OCI, I noticed the same Castrol I had been using with the Purolators seemed noticably cleaner with the FULL. Granted, 3k is not a lot of miles, but the oil always seemed ready for a change when I did it at 3k so I've been sticking with it. This time around, the oil didn't seem very dirty or contaminated at all. An analysis would obviously tell the real story but but the looks of it, the FULL was doing a fine job. Even the excess glue was still in place, thankfully.

Sorry, no cut-open pics! The filter's long gone. No part number either but it would be whatever the L14476 crosses over to.

I've got a cheapo Valucraft on there now and I'm anticipating it'll do a fine job since it's just a good standard-grade Champ filter (like the AC Delco and STP I also picked up). I'll probably try a Baldwin next, or a Wix, maybe a Mann, possibly a Hastings...

Interesting. How long were you using the Purolators? I am not sure they are the same filter they were before the ownership change. The construction has changed, but you can only guess at the quality looking at a cut open filter.

Originally Posted By: labman
Interesting. How long were you using the Purolators? I am not sure they are the same filter they were before the ownership change. The construction has changed, but you can only guess at the quality looking at a cut open filter.

You don't like Purolators? They seem to be one of the top tier filters out there IMO.

The newer L 10193's barely have more media than a Fram PH 3950. I never did like the dome end bypass. In the past, I thought they were mid pack like the different Champ brands and Hastings. I quit trusting fine old names after I cut open a Fram. Been getting them cheap with oil deals, but I am trying something else next oil change.

On my 2005 chevy colorado the local quicky lube has started using FULL brand filters and noticed the cleaner looking oil also. They are still using Pennzoil (so the claim). This current OCI has almost 5k miles on . Prior to the FULL brand they were using pennzoil brand filters (rebranded fram). I'll let everybody know if my engine blows up...

I'd like to see the guts of a cut open FULL brand filter. They look good from the outside, but it's what's inside that counts.

Any Purolator I've used on this car was an 'old' Premium Plus.

You've mentioned a possible design change or quality decline with the new ownership a few times. Where did you read/see this? I'd be curious to see what the new Classic filters look like inside.

Originally Posted By: SuperBusa
I'd like to see the guts of a cut open FULL brand filter. They look good from the outside, but it's what's inside that counts.

I bought a bunch of filters for both my wife's Corolla and my Impreza a few months ago just to compare the guts (without cutting them open) and see with my own eyes who makes what. All I can tell you that the FULL's design was unique to that filter. It certainly was not a Champ or Purolator (or Baldwin!).

Now I wish I kept it and cut it open, but apartment living does not afford a weekend mechanic much leeway in making a mess.
wink.gif

Originally Posted By: Bottom_Feeder

Any Purolator I've used on this car was an 'old' Premium Plus.

You've mentioned a possible design change or quality decline with the new ownership a few times. Where did you read/see this? I'd be curious to see what the new Classic filters look like inside.

I saw it in my garage when I cut up 3 of the Purolators I have used recently. Much less media and no way of knowing if what there is enough better to make up the difference.

Originally Posted By: Bottom_Feeder
During the change after a 3k OCI, I noticed the same Castrol I had been using with the Purolators seemed noticably cleaner with the FULL. Granted, 3k is not a lot of miles, but the oil always seemed ready for a change when I did it at 3k so I've been sticking with it. This time around, the oil didn't seem very dirty or contaminated at all. An analysis would obviously tell the real story but but the looks of it, the FULL was doing a fine job.

I seriously doubt you can SEE a difference in the oil, most of the darkness/dirty/contaminated look is material way too small to be filtered out by a typical filter....

Originally Posted By: SkyPup
I seriously doubt you can SEE a difference in the oil, most of the darkness/dirty/contaminated look is material way too small to be filtered out by a typical filter....

Maybe so, but the oil I drained out was a lot lighter, more honey in color than what I typically see from this car, which is all I was commenting about. I guess you missed what I said about 'an analysis would obviously tell the real story'?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back